• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Custody and Visitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AUKWARD

I live in Michigan. I share custody, both legal and physical, of my three children with my ex-wife. My oldest girl, 15, really just wants to live with her mother, while the boys (13 and 11) identify more with me, but obviously love their mother. No problem there. However, now my job is moving out of State and I would like to take the boys with me and have offered to pay for all travel at Christmas and for half of the summer, and again in the Spring, but she refuses. I am assuming that as the parent who is moving I am out of luck and while a cooperative agreement would be the best thing all around, does anyone know with the boys' ages if the courts would consider letting me take them as primary custodian...all other things being equal. They have lived here all of their lives and therefore this is where they are established which counts for a lot. To what degree will the courts consider their opinions? My daughter, I believe, should have a say at her age and identifies more with her mother. I don't want to waste time and effort and spend good will if it is a lost cause. Any thoughts???

Isis1

not helpful
okay, you wanted a prettier answer.

in each state a child cannot make the unilateril decision to decide where they want to live. when the child no longer has the label of a minor (by turning the age of 18) then are no longer under the restrictions of parental control.

unless there is a change of circumstance as listed by law by each state's definition, change of custody is not in the children's best interest.

was that more lengthy for you?:rolleyes:

LdiJ

I live in Michigan. I share custody, both legal and physical, of my three children with my ex-wife. My oldest girl, 15, really just wants to live with her mother, while the boys (13 and 11) identify more with me, but obviously love their mother. No problem there. However, now my job is moving out of State and I would like to take the boys with me and have offered to pay for all travel at Christmas and for half of the summer, and again in the Spring, but she refuses. I am assuming that as the parent who is moving I am out of luck and while a cooperative agreement would be the best thing all around, does anyone know with the boys' ages if the courts would consider letting me take them as primary custodian...all other things being equal. They have lived here all of their lives and therefore this is where they are established which counts for a lot. To what degree will the courts consider their opinions? My daughter, I believe, should have a say at her age and identifies more with her mother. I don't want to waste time and effort and spend good will if it is a lost cause. Any thoughts???
Honestly, in a 50/50 situation or anything close to that, the parent moving away will not get to take the children with them. Its simply not going to happen. You are going to have to accept that you will be the parent seeing the children on holidays and during the summer. You should be negotiating for the best possible arrangement in that respect.

AUKWARD

well IsabellaSoriano actually no, that wasn't an answer either or at least not to my question, no reference was made to a minor making any kind of unilateral decision, but LdiJ's answer was. LdiJ's answer It is pretty much affirmation or aligned with what I anticipated and expect...

Silverplum

well IsabellaSoriano actually no, that wasn't an answer either or at least not to my question, no reference was made to a minor making any kind of unilateral decision, but LdiJ's answer was. LdiJ's answer It is pretty much affirmation or aligned with what I anticipated and expect...
It's a common question with a common answer. It could easily have been found in these forums.

So when you ask, "What's 1 plus 1?" You're likely to get a short answer, such as, "2."

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Regardless, it was free and it was valid.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
You asked the question, you got the answer. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">