• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child custody change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



My husband and his ex divorced in Montana, in 1991. At that time, the support payments were calculated based on her being primary parent (joint-custody) of two boys (currently 16 and 14). In October 2000, she dropped off the younger boy at our house, said she could no longer control him and he is not allowed at her house.

In the divorce papers, there is a worksheet that calculated split parenting plan (one boy in each household). The worksheet indicates that, with split custody of one child each, father pays mother $73.00. We have been paying that amount since October.

BM is now threatening to take father to court to have that amount raised. She has not cashed a check since October although we send them faithfully on the 15th of the month (date also stipulated in divorce contract). Is it possible that we reading the divorce papers wrong? Can she receive arrears simply because she did not cash the checks?

She also plans to move to Washington in 3 months but the son that she has custody will finish high school while living with the stepfather (this is in another town and per the sons wishes). If she is not living in the same household as the son, do we pay support to her or the stepfather?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential