• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Custody If Child Loses Both Parents At Once

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Todit

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but, if a child loses both parents, and another family member has to take custody of the child, how long would that process take and what would the process look like for the child? if the specific state is important, Nebraska.

t74

bcr229

Thank you! My husband and I have guardians for our daughter designated in our Will should we both pass away, but we will look into this also.

t74

It is my understanding that naming guardians in a will is not necessarily binding on the court. I guess much depends on whether there would be a custody fight.

The novel approach in our will done years ago in TX by the law prof specializing in estate law was to setup a committee of the aunts, uncles and grandparentsparents to identify the best guardian at the time. This recognized that while grandparents might be the best choice for young children and the fact the parents siblings were much younger than the parents and not appropriate choices unless the children were much older. I am glad I no longer have to worry about this problem as I would not want any of our siblings to have guardianship due to their poor life choices as they aged.

LdiJ

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but, if a child loses both parents, and another family member has to take custody of the child, how long would that process take and what would the process look like for the child? if the specific state is important, Nebraska.
Temporary custody pending the outcome of a full blown case could happen quite quickly. Judges don't like to leave children in limbo. If no one contests the custody, then permanent custody could also happen quite quickly, for the same reason.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">