• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child custody in California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

One child, age two years and three months. Father signed an AOP at the hospital. Was not involved until 21 months old. Has begun to see child between 12 to 20 hours per week. He lives about 40 minutes aways without traffic.

Recently began to threaten court (which is fine.) He says that he is going to get one or two full days during the week and weekend time as well. The thing is that he works full time about 1 1/2 hours away from his house. He does work from home somethimes but it is not an all the time thing. I am a SAHM and attend school at night. He wants our child at his house during the day so that his girlfriend can spend time with our child and not me=(. I get that she will be around our child and I really don't care at this point. I just think a child should be with his mom not some other girl. Obviously I am not ok with that. So a couple of q's?

1) Is he likely to get full days during the week even though he is working?

I fear that he will lie and say he always works from home on certain days so he can have our child during the day when in reality he wont be there and even if he is he will be working and the GF will be caring for the child. I don't mind him having a midweek visit when he is done with work.

2) Is it likely that I can have a very strong no third party interference placed into the parenting plan? Also that the father must do the pick up and drop off and no people besides blood family members can be present during pick up and drop off unless mutually agreed upon?

The father has no family in the state. The reason that I ask is because his GF is a constant problem. I call to check on our son and she starts screaming at me in the background. Calling me names and saying that my child is her's, etc. Our child comes home saying ***** hates mommy. Our childs father allows that and says that our child has two mothers and I need to get use to that. Of course I have no hard proof of this. I can only imagine how she would act during pick up and drop offs. I am just trying to limit the problems that she is going to cause because it is of course getting worse and from what I have read on this forum it can get a lot worse.

Thank you!!!!!

Last edited:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

One child, age two years and three months. Father signed an AOP at the hospital. Was not involved until 21 months old. Has begun to see child between 12 to 20 hours per week. He lives about 40 minutes aways without traffic.

Recently began to threaten court (which is fine.) He says that he is going to get one or two full days during the week and weekend time as well. The thing is that he works full time about 1 1/2 hours away from his house. He does work from home somethimes but it is not an all the time thing. I am a SAHM and attend school at night. He wants our child at his house during the day so that his girlfriend can spend time with our child and not me=(. I get that she will be around our child and I really don't care at this point. I just think a child should be with his mom not some other girl. Obviously I am not ok with that. So a couple of q's?

1) Is he likely to get full days during the week even though he is working?

I fear that he will lie and say he always works from home on certain days so he can have our child during the day when in reality he wont be there and even if he is he will be working and the GF will be caring for the child. I don't mind him having a midweek visit when he is done with work.

2) Is it likely that I can have a very strong no third party interference placed into the parenting plan? Also that the father must do the pick up and drop off and no people besides blood family members can be present during pick up and drop off unless mutually agreed upon?

The father has no family in the state. The reason that I ask is because his GF is a constant problem. I call to check on our son and she starts screaming at me in the background. Calling me names and saying that my child is her's, etc. Our child comes home saying ***** hates mommy. Our childs father allows that and says that our child has two mothers and I need to get use to that. Of course I have no hard proof of this. I can only imagine how she would act during pick up and drop offs. I am just trying to limit the problems that she is going to cause because it is of course getting worse and from what I have read on this forum it can get a lot worse.

Thank you!!!!!
When the two of you take it to court, you will get sent to mediation. The mediator will help you work out what is an isn't reasonable.

If the mediator hears dad say that the child has two mothers now (particularly when he isn't even married to his gf) the mediator is likely to slam dad pretty hard.

There is also no reason for the child to be home with dad's girlfriend when the child could be home with you instead.

When the two of you take it to court, you will get sent to mediation. The mediator will help you work out what is an isn't reasonable.

If the mediator hears dad say that the child has two mothers now (particularly when he isn't even married to his gf) the mediator is likely to slam dad pretty hard.

There is also no reason for the child to be home with dad's girlfriend when the child could be home with you instead.
Thank you LDiJ! I wish that dad would be dumb enough to say something in fron of the mediator or better the judge but I don't think he is. I just know that Dad is very manipulative and charming so a million thoughts run through my head of what he is going to try. A few months ago he offered me $20,000 dollars to disappear so that they could be a family (ya right.)

What eles can I do to help protect myself and child from this woman? You don't think that is is likely I can get no one present at pick up and drop off unless mutually agreed upon?

I read on this forum and it just makes me sick what some third parites are doing....

LdiJ

Thank you LDiJ! I wish that dad would be dumb enough to say something in fron of the mediator or better the judge but I don't think he is. I just know that Dad is very manipulative and charming so a million thoughts run through my head of what he is going to try. A few months ago he offered me $20,000 dollars to disappear so that they could be a family (ya right.)

What eles can I do to help protect myself and child from this woman? You don't think that is is likely I can get no one present at pick up and drop off unless mutually agreed upon?

I read on this forum and it just makes me sick what some third parites are doing....
I can't guarantee it by any means, but frequently orders include clauses that prohibit third parties from being present during exchanges.

I cannot believe he offered you 20k to give up your child!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">