• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Custody Legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I live in Mississippi and the mother of my child lives in Oklahoma, but the divorce and custody papers are filed in MS. She has been through many ups and downs and many stages in her life since our divorce. There are several things that she has been involved in that I do not want to see my child around. During one of her phases, she gave me physical custody with visitations for her to not exceed 6 months out of the year. Child support was also nixed since I have custody most of the year. This paperwork is signed and notorized by both parties, but has not been filed with any court system. Well, now she is back with her mother and the two are plotting for custody of my child. How legal is the paperwork I have?


Senior Member
would depend upon the judge, but in most cases - agreements between the parents, rather on paper or verbal, are useless unless they have been sent to the court and signed by a judge.

i hope you have documentation of all the time that the children have spent with you.

check out http://www.deltabravo.net in the middle of the screen there is an index of things to check out. they have a free download for software to help you track the time that the child stays with you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential