• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



my ex-wife lives in Mississippi and I live in Tennessee. my daughter of 16 wants to come live with me. (she will be 17 next month) what is the legal age a child can decedide he/she can decide which parent she wants to live with, without parental consent?

Is she wanting to live with you due to conflicts with her mother? Is she just running for rules and restrictions?
If so, think hard. Make her stay with mom. She can't run to you, then you lay down the law and she'll realize mom wasn't so bad.

Just a thought of why a child of this age moves with other parent.
My ss moved back with mom after being with us for 2 years. She "bribed" him with master bedroom, the master bed, the whole nine yards. Was easier on him... Then they had to move into a different house, he got the smallest room and rules came down because her stress level went up... Needless to say, he's back for good. He shares a room and he just turned 17 on Sunday. Mom still tries to "buy" him now and then, but he's set on staying. He realizes now, if he hadn't moved he would have stayed in the same high school for all 4 years. With mom, he moved 3 times in 16 months.
Grass may be greener, but it's not sweeter.

If this isn't your case, sorry... Post some more details.
Legal age is 18.


Senior Member
NO states. There are guidelines as to when the child can have input, the judges may deviate anyway they see fit.

Listen, the girl is certainly old enough and most judges realize at that age..well, they can just run away. File a motion for change in custody & support.

Good luck!


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential