• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.


Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



my new wife is having a baby that is the result of her being assaulted. there is no way to determine who the biological father is. can i have my name put on the birth certificate as the legal father, or do i need to adopt the child? my name is kevin, i live in michigan.


Senior Member
since you are married, there is the assumption that you are the biological father. she can place your name on the birth certificate and as long as you don't contest it and no one steps forward to file a paternity petition - you will be considered daddy. no adoption would be necessary.

here is a link for a michigan lawyer. he has an email link where you can ask questions. he can give you state specifics.


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential