• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



texas is the state. my daughter was 17years old when she married in august 2000. she was 4 month pregnant when they married. they have lived with me and her father since they were married. my daughter is filing for a divorce because she relized she doesn't love him. she wants legal custody of their 4 month old daughter. does she stand a chance of getting it when he said he would fight for joint custody? thanks littlebit13

[Edited by littlebit13 on 06-03-2001 at 04:56 AM]



"who will get custody"

child custody is a difficult choice for a judge to make.there are a number of factors that will go into his,or her deciding the custody issues,first they will have to determine the abilities of each parent to provide for the childs survival,such as their living environment,their work ethics,their maturity.for the best intrest of the child.the courts do seem to be bias against the fathers,as they beleive that the best place for a child to live is with the mother that gave birth to the child,based mainly on enumeration of case facts,in general,it is usually the father that has no problem cheating on their spouse,or just plain leaving their child.whereas,the mothers dont usually abandon their children,im not saying it doesnt happen,i do beleive that it dont happen as often with females.they will look upon the father of the child not providing a stable home for his child,and bride as a factor,more so him,than her.but that would depend upon the judge.if you,and your husband could ascert that your daughter,and your grandchild,would not be in jeopardy of being homeless,or in an unstable invironment,untill your daughter could afford,to totally provide for herself,and the child,pending also the courts giving,or ordering child-support from the father.if you dont beleive,or in doubt if she would be able to obtain custody,their is the option,if agreed to by your husband,that you,and your husband seek either to be the childs guardian,or custodian,untill your daughter can provide for the child,as is required by federal,and state laws.i am not an attorney,please consult with one in your home state,good-luck,friends

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential