• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I live in Utah and have found out that I have an eleven year old daughter who lives in Pennsylvania. I have started paying child support, but the mother is refusing to let my daughter visit me. What should I do?


Senior Member
child support and visitation are seperate issues. you need to file for some form of custody/visitation. since the child has lived with mom for the past 11 years it is highly unlikely that you would receive physical custody - but you should be involved with decisions that affect your child. go for joint legal and visitation rights. you are entitled to a relationship with your daughter.

your visitation will probably be limited at first. with you doing alot of traveling to PA to let her get comfortable with you. just saying this because if i were the mom that is what i would push for. the child doesn't know you and there is going to be an adjustment time. it would probably go easier if you were willing to offer this from the start. phase into visitation and eventually end with it in your state. the age of the child will definitely help speed things along.

right now, mom has the right to call the shots. you need to petition to make that change.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential