• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child endangerment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Tina Campbell

What is the name of your state? Georgia. me and my husband have primary custody of my stepson. My stepson goes to his mothers house every other weekend. She drives a little truck and she has another child. My stepson sits in the middle and there is no seatbelt so that means that she doesn't buckle him up. Is there anything I can do about this because that is endangering my stepson and you never know what will happen if she was to get in a wreck.

T

texasmomlost

You can't do anything. You are a STEP mom or are you actually written into the court order?

With that said, how old is the child? Do they drive on the weekends or does she just come over to pick up the child? Should he be in a car seat, if so offer to give her one to use. If not then maybe you could drive him to her house?

Also you need to pick your battles. Does he wear a seatbelt 100% of the time in your vehicle or any other vehicle he enters?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Since seatbelt usage is likely state mandated, Dad may be able to do something about it IF he can prove that she's not buckling him in. When she comes to pick him up - does he sit in the middle unbelted? If so, Dad is likely within his rights to refuse to allow her to take him. He may want to have a word with an attorney to see what he can practically do. He should also research what GA laws are regarding seatbelt usage.

When I had a similar situation, a written notice to the ex that I would take legal action if the situation was repeated ended it.

nextwife

I know that my daughter NEVER goes in a personal vehicle without BOTH her booster seat AND her seat belt. 100% of the time. AND she never rides in the front where an airbag can decapitate her.

THis IS battle worth fighting. A minor accident can kill or cause serious brain injury if no seat belt/booster/car seat are used. I saw what a brain injury can do. No thank you. If our girl cannot ride in the back, in her booster with seat belt, she doesn't go in that vehicle.

And she is 6. She will ride in her booster to 80 pounds, as recommended by the safety recommendations of the Dept of Transportation. I don't care if it's two blocks that she is going. No child should EVER ride "loose". A small accident can send them into the windshield.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Another thought.... Dad may want to speak with his local auto mechanic (or, if the truck's relatively new - a dealer) to see what would be involved in having a center-seat belt installed. Depending on the relationship between Mom & Dad, he might consider offering to split the cost for the sake of the child's safety.

Just thinking aloud.

T

texasmomlost

I agree that seatbelts are important. But just get irritated with step parents making it THEIR issue.

I lived without a seatbelt, but then again speed limits were slower so I guess there is a higher risk of accidents. However most of them happen with in two blocks of your home and are not always high speed.

We can also say the car could crash and the seatbelt could get stuck and the child could be trapped too.

I did not mean to lessen the severity. If the child is old enough to buckle themselves in the teach them to do it. If mom can't get a car that has enough seatbelts you need to help out to foster the relationship between mom and child.

Denying visitation is WRONG in my opinion because if mom can't afford another vehicle you are saying she can't see the kid because she is poor? So why not take the kid to her. If you see her driving report her, like suggested.

T

texasmomlost

VeronicaGia said:
How did all the baby boomers ever live without seat belts?
LOL I read this after I posted.

Stealth has hit it head on there with that last comment. Help out, I would say even if you have to pay for the whole thing do it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">