• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child exchange

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state?
FL

Can i have my mother (who my son and i currently live with) take my son to be exchanged with his father for custody exchange?
I have made plans in advance that will render me unavailable to personally deliver my son to his father for custody exchange. I have informed him with more than 48 hours notice as it states in our court order. I have made it clear that the only person i have available to bring Conner is my mother and he refuses to meet with her, demanding that i make myself available at times he chooses. My main concern is how the situation should be handled properly by law, and that my son is not pulled from home with police and cause issues for my family.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state?
FL

Can i have my mother (who my son and i currently live with) take my son to be exchanged with his father for custody exchange?
I have made plans in advance that will render me unavailable to personally deliver my son to his father for custody exchange. I have informed him with more than 48 hours notice as it states in our court order. I have made it clear that the only person i have available to bring Conner is my mother and he refuses to meet with her, demanding that i make myself available at times he chooses. My main concern is how the situation should be handled properly by law, and that my son is not pulled from home with police and cause issues for my family.
Get out your court orders and tell us what the specific language states about exchanges.

There are no specifications on transportation or exchange for our son. I will try to upload a photo of this section. There are multiple issues that my son's father and I have pertaining to our court order. I believe that he has violated our court order a few times on some other subjects. For this time he says that he will contempt me for refusal of visitation because I won't be present. I offered for my mother to drop our son off at the time that he chose for visitation. I have plans that do not interfere with his visitation but only make me unavailable for drop off.

LdiJ

There are no specifications on transportation or exchange for our son. I will try to upload a photo of this section. There are multiple issues that my son's father and I have pertaining to our court order. I believe that he has violated our court order a few times on some other subjects. For this time he says that he will contempt me for refusal of visitation because I won't be present. I offered for my mother to drop our son off at the time that he chose for visitation. I have plans that do not interfere with his visitation but only make me unavailable for drop off.
We don't need to see a picture of the orders we need to know what it says. IE, you actually typing in what it says.

However, if your ex is also violating other portions of the court order then it might be in your best interest to take it back to court to get things clarified, and language to be written that allows for other responsible adults to exchange the child.

If your ex tried to get you held in contempt because you "refused visitation" you will need to explain to the court that you did not do so, that your mother was willing and able to make the exchange and your ex refused. That is going to make him look bad, not you.

XVII. TRANSPORTATION AND EXCHANGE OF CHILD(REN)
1. Transportation {Choose only one}
a.__The __ Mother ____ Father shall provide all transportation.
b. _____The parent beginning their time-sharing shall provide transportation for the
child(ren).
c._____The parent ending their time-sharing shall provide transportation for the
child(ren).
d._____Other: {Specify}_ The parties shall mutually agree upon a transportation
exchange place.
2. Exchange
Both parents shall have the child(ren) ready on time
and ready at the agreed upon time of exchange. If a parent is more than 30____
minutes late without contacting the other parent to make other arrangements, the
parent with the child(ren) may proceed with other plans and activities.
{Choose only one}:
a._____Exchanges shall be at Mother’s and Father’s homes unless both parents agree to
a different meeting place.
b.Exchanges shall occur at _

____ unless both
parties agree in advance to a different meeting place.
c._____Other: The parties shall mutually
agree_______________________________________________________.
3. Transportation Costs {Choose only one}
a.___X__Transportation costs are included in the Child Support Worksheets and/or the
Order for Child Support and should not be included here.
b.The Mother shall pay _% and the Father shall pay __ % of the
transportation costs.
c.Other: __.

We are supposed to mutually agree on major decisions including medical and schooling and he states because he doesn't agree to meeting my mother I'm violaging the order, thats 1 contempt the second he's filing is refusal of visitation.

Speaking of not mutual agreeing, my son has no current pediatrician due to his father terminated my son life long dr without me agreeing due to he claims wrongful diagnosis. How funny my daughter still goes there at 10!
He threatens me with contempt if i was to have my mother pick our son up from school, made a scene at the school to have her removed from all paper work when she used to pick him up from vpk.
And also there have been times before my mother picked up or dropped our son of to him or his wife. He has no license and his wife even refuses to meet my mother.

LdiJ

We are supposed to mutually agree on major decisions including medical and schooling and he states because he doesn't agree to meeting my mother I'm violaging the order, thats 1 contempt the second he's filing is refusal of visitation.
You need a lawyer and you need to go back to court.

I can no longer afford an attorney, I had one beginning apart court case all the way until trial. What should I do and or how can I represent myself properly?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
You know what? I'd have your Mom bring your son to the exchange point at the designated time. If Dad doesn't show up within 30 minutes, she can document she's been there with the kid available, and go on her merry way.

If Dad tries to take you to court for contempt because your mom drove his son there, not you, I'd expect a judge to say he's being controlling and get a grip. It's not like you're suggesting some strange new par amour transport the kid; you're suggesting Grandma transport the kid, and so long as the kid is made available at the exchange point on schedule, what the h-e-double hockey sticks should it matter to Dad?

That's funny because that's actually what I had planned to do, the police department that we meet Dad at advised me of this and even offered themselves to physically exchange the child to Dad or his wife. Now he is threatening contempt if my child stays the night with anyone else, how funny the only person he would be with would be his grandma who we happen to live with. I had made some last-minute Arrangements thinking that our son would be with his dad over the weekend. It never affected his time sharing it only affected dropping your child off. If he had to stay home with my mom at this point it would only be because Dad refused to meet Grandma sharing. Dad informed me when filing these contempt that he will be asking for jail time and that if jail time is granted he will file for emergency custody. To me it seems like he's not picking up his son just to try to have me put in jail to take my son from me.

My only worry was that if Dad didn't show up to pick up our child at the police department that he would show up at my house later on at some point in the weekend to try to have my County Sheriff's remove my son and give him to his dad because of the order stating that he is supposed to have him on the weekend. I think it would be traumatizing to my son if he were to do so home is the only safe place anymore to my son. He lives in a different County and his County will be the one documenting if he does not pick our son. His counties Police Department advised me to have my mother give the reference number for the report made if he does not show up to our County. prove that he could have picked up our child but did not. They advised me that they do not think that my County officers will remove my son and give him to his father if he was to act like this.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
That's funny because that's actually what I had planned to do, the police department that we meet Dad at advised me of this and even offered themselves to physically exchange the child to Dad or his wife. Now he is threatening contempt if my child stays the night with anyone else, how funny the only person he would be with would be his grandma who we happen to live with. I had made some last-minute Arrangements thinking that our son would be with his dad over the weekend. It never affected his time sharing it only affected dropping your child off. If he had to stay home with my mom at this point it would only be because Dad refused to meet Grandma sharing. Dad informed me when filing these contempt that he will be asking for jail time and that if jail time is granted he will file for emergency custody. To me it seems like he's not picking up his son just to try to have me put in jail to take my son from me.
:ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:
I'm sorry, but this is hilarious.

The exchange place is the police station. If Dad doesn't show up, Grandma can file a report - this is not to press charges, just a report that she was there, and bring a copy home with her.

The sheriff is unlikely to get involved in a civil matter, but in the very unlikely event that the sheriff shows up, Grandma can greet the sheriff, show her copy of the report.

Just don't say: "Bring. It. On." You can think it, don't say it.

Dad can try filing for contempt. But if you follow the police's suggestion and have that report and your Mom there, he's going to look like a fool.

And should Dad file for contempt, throw in your response the concerns you've raised here, and ask for modifications. Ask that your mother, a responsible adult, be allowed to provide transportation in facilitating your parenting time. Ask that your son be allowed to go to the dr. Point out that his wife is a legal stranger and not even a blood relative of your son, so if the wife is the only one in his household with a license, she needs to get over her aversion to meeting Grandma, or Dad better start using Uber or a taxi.

Last edited:
What is the name of your state?
Fl

Can i be held in contempt if my sons father refused to pick our son up from my mother.? He refused to pick our son up for weekend visitation due to the fact that i had previous arrangements and would not be physically present. I set up for my mother to be where his father chose at the court ordered time. He demanded that i be present or use ANYONE but my mother. My children and I currently live with my mother. My mother took my son as arranged and even made a police report that my son was never picked up. A police officer even spoke with my sons father who clearly stated he would not pick our son up from my mother. He proceeded with filing contempt claiming I with held visitation. And another for him calling my phone to speak to our son(which would be the other way around if he would have picked our son up) and I was unavailable as i stated I would be, (hints why i made other arrangements) and he didn't get to speak to our son for the duration of the weekend. He is asking for jail time and for me to pay all costs pertaining to this case. Our case is to be in front of a magistrate. This is our most recent issue. I would like to obtain legal counsel for this issue and many others.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">