• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child getting back suport from paretns

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DGSky

What is the name of your state? CA

I am 17 and will be 18 in December 2005. I will still be attending high school through June 2006 and plan to attend college.

My father has neevr been in my life and has never paid child suport> I could find him if I wanted to.

My mother abandonwed me to live with another guy a year ago and I reside with my step-father who has raised me for 15 years. I know my step father cannot collect child supprt for me, but can I collect support from my biological parents?

BelizeBreeze

DGSky said:
Can you explain why? Don't they at least owe back child support?
and how should I know that? You haven't even told this forum if a child support order was issued by a court of competent jurisdiction.

So, is there a current order?

DGSky

Okay, I am 17 and researching on my own. I am looking for help and direction in this matter, please. Why am I getting screwed?

BelizeBreeze

DGSky said:
To the best of my knowledge, NO, an order has not been made.
Then you'd better get a job if you think you're going to college.

In the absence of a current order your MOTHER has no grounds for back support. and SHE, as the custodial parent, is the ONLY person who has standing to file for support.

it's a dead issue. Move on with your life.

BelizeBreeze

DGSky said:
you should be a counselor
It's time to face reality. Neither parent is worth a rat's ass. You are with someone now who is taking care of you, who is under NO legal obligation to do so and yet is giving you a roof over your head, food to eat and a bed to sleep in.

Instead of whinning about what you don't have, be thankful for what you DO have. Your stepfather could throw your ass out on the street and then where would you be?

HuH? Part of growing up is knowing what you can and can't change. And you can't make these two jackasses into parents.

DGSky

Cool. I understand and respect your responce now. I just feel both me and my "dad" have been screwed over. Are there any other options either me or my "dad" can take? He's also raising my sister who is 13 whom he had with my mother. Loser left us all.

DGSky

Yeah, they're in the process now. She's not asking for spousal, any money from the house, or anything at all including me or my sister. She's like 39 and livign with some loser 26 year old and his mom now. She went all goth and pierced and tattoed herself up and acts stupid like she's 15. We don't see a penny and my "dad" does as much as he can.

BelizeBreeze

DGSky said:
Yeah, they're in the process now. She's not asking for spousal, any money from the house, or anything at all including me or my sister. She's like 39 and livign with some loser 26 year old and his mom now. She went all goth and pierced and tattoed herself up and acts stupid like she's 15. We don't see a penny and my "dad" does as much as he can.
Then your 'dad' should file for guardianship and File child abandonment charges against the bitch . At this point, the state can come in and take jurisdiction of you AND your sister as your stepfather has no legal rights to you. He is a legal stranger.

DGSky

How would you describe abandonment? She does viist us an hour or so evry other Sunday but does not want us to stay with her at all.

Why would the state take jurisdiction of my sister, since she is with her dad already? What would all of this lead to?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">