• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child gone without court ordered parenting plan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lido

Hi everybody,
my soon-to-be ex-wife moved out of the apartment 10 days ago taking our son with her. She sneaked him out behind my back and never returned home. We are going through divorce proceedings, and we were working on a 50-50 time sharing plan when all of a sudden all of this happened. During the days before disappearing she was acting suspiciously, and I now understand that she must have rented a place and prepared it to move in. She also stalled any progress with regards to the planning of the time sharing. My greatest surprise was that when the police came I was told that it is legal for my soon-to-be ex-wife to remove my son from the place he's been living his all life without my knowledge and consent. Reality is that my 2 and a half year old son is gone, and I don't even know where he is, let alone that I don't get to see him. My soon-to-be ex doesn't want to talk to me, and occasionally she allows me to see my son through Whatsapp.
We don't have any court ordered time sharing in place, so my lawyer told me that we can only file for a temporary relief motion with which we ask the judge to set up the time sharing plan for us. The biggest problem with that motion is that, according to my lawyer, it will take months before it goes in front of the judge. My son and I have been together every day since the day he was born, and we have a huge bond as I have been the parent who has taken care of him on a daily basis. Indeed I have been a stay-at-home dad while my soon-to-be ex has been finishing school and just started a new career.
I understand that removing my son from the apartment was legal, but can she prevent me from spending time with him? We live in Florida, and Statute 787-03-2 states that in the absence of a court order, a parent still cannot hide a child from the other parent. Can she be held in Court Contempt for violating this provision?
Also does anybody know of any remedy to speed things up in order to get the case in front of the judge?

Just Blue

Hi everybody,
my soon-to-be ex-wife moved out of the apartment 10 days ago taking our son with her. She sneaked him out behind my back and never returned home. We are going through divorce proceedings, and we were working on a 50-50 time sharing plan when all of a sudden all of this happened. During the days before disappearing she was acting suspiciously, and I now understand that she must have rented a place and prepared it to move in. She also stalled any progress with regards to the planning of the time sharing. My greatest surprise was that when the police came I was told that it is legal for my soon-to-be ex-wife to remove my son from the place he's been living his all life without my knowledge and consent. Reality is that my 2 and a half year old son is gone, and I don't even know where he is, let alone that I don't get to see him. My soon-to-be ex doesn't want to talk to me, and occasionally she allows me to see my son through Whatsapp.
We don't have any court ordered time sharing in place, so my lawyer told me that we can only file for a temporary relief motion with which we ask the judge to set up the time sharing plan for us. The biggest problem with that motion is that, according to my lawyer, it will take months before it goes in front of the judge. My son and I have been together every day since the day he was born, and we have a huge bond as I have been the parent who has taken care of him on a daily basis. Indeed I have been a stay-at-home dad while my soon-to-be ex has been finishing school and just started a new career.
I understand that removing my son from the apartment was legal, but can she prevent me from spending time with him? We live in Florida, and Statute 787-03-2 states that in the absence of a court order, a parent still cannot hide a child from the other parent. Can she be held in Court Contempt for violating this provision?
Also does anybody know of any remedy to speed things up in order to get the case in front of the judge?
Your attorney should answer all of your questions as they have all the facts of the situation.

adjusterjack

occasionally she allows me to see my son through Whatsapp.
Sorry, but you will just have to accept that while the divorce process takes its course.

Statute 787-03-2 states that in the absence of a court order, a parent still cannot hide a child from the other parent.
Laws don't prevent people from doing bad things.

Can she be held in Court Contempt for violating this provision?
In theory, sure. In reality she probably won't be.

Divorce is hell. But you take your lumps and soldier on through.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Regarding the "contempt" question...
Mom isn't in contempt of any court order because there is no court order in place. Mom may be committing a felony, but even that may not be the case since she is allowing contact with the child. I doubt you'll see any action on that front...but ask your attorney.

Lido

Regarding the "contempt" question...
Mom isn't in contempt of any court order because there is no court order in place. Mom may be committing a felony, but even that may not be the case since she is allowing contact with the child. I doubt you'll see any action on that front...but ask your attorney.
Does a court order have to be in place to be in contempt? Can a person be in contempt for breaking the law?
I'm not sure whether I'm reading Statute 787-03-2 right:

"In the absence of a court order determining rights to custody or visitation with any minor or with any incompetent person, any parent of the minor or incompetent person, whether natural or adoptive, stepparent, legal guardian, or relative of the minor or incompetent person who has custody thereof and who takes, detains, conceals, or entices away that minor or incompetent person within or without the state with malicious intent to deprive another person of his or her right to custody of the minor or incompetent person commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084."

Also does occasional two minutes on Whatsapp count as visiting with my son? He's so young that he doesn't even know how to interact on a phone screen.

Zigner

That's true but at the same time the law should punish people for violating it
It's not entirely clear that she's violated the law. Additionally, the court will presume that she HASN'T violated the law until such time as the court determines that she has.

Speak to your attorney.

Zigner

Does a court order have to be in place to be in contempt?
Contempt (in this context) means that a person has violated a court order. Since there is no order in place, there is no contempt.

Ask your attorney if there were any automatic injunctions that took effect when the divorced matter was filed.

Just Blue

That's true but at the same time the law should punish people for violating it
Often they are punished. When a parent plays "hide and seek" with their child, they are often punished by the Judge. Such punishments include, but are not limited to, loss of custody.

You have an attorney who has all the facts of your case...talk with them regarding your concerns. It is not wise to expect random people on the internet to advise/guide you through this process when you are represented by an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">