• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child health insurance with medicaid after a divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

crumb

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? UT

One child that has equal custody with mom and dad. Ex-husband(dad) and his family are on medicaid. New husband and family has insurance through work. Ex-husband wants to put child on medicaid since it's free but husband can include child for same price for the family.

Question: Is it lawful to put a child that lives under two households on Medicaid when one household can cover them under a family plan?

Thanks for any thoughts...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

One child that has equal custody with mom and dad. Ex-husband(dad) and his family are on medicaid. New husband and family has insurance through work. Ex-husband wants to put child on medicaid since it's free but husband can include child for same price for the family.

Question: Is it lawful to put a child that lives under two households on Medicaid when one household can cover them under a family plan?

Who has legal custody?

crumb

Nobody cares whether the insurance coverage is with employer or medicaid. I just would like to know if husband can take child off his company insurance so child is covered solely by medicaid. It seems to be cheaper for doctor visits.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Nobody cares whether the insurance coverage is with employer or medicaid. I just would like to know if husband can take child off his company insurance so child is covered solely by medicaid. It seems to be cheaper for doctor visits.
It would have to wait for the next open enrollment period.

LdiJ

If UT is anything like my state if dad attempts to put the child on Medicaid the state will force mom to provide health insurance anyway.

ecmst12

Child can and should be on both policies. Medicaid will cover any out of pocket expenses after the primary policy pays. Everyone wins.

crumb

Child can and should be on both policies. Medicaid will cover any out of pocket expenses after the primary policy pays. Everyone wins.
I like the sound of that and it makes more sense. I will have to figure out how that works.

Thanks for the help

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
No. Why would you that? What happens if the child no longer qualifies for Medicaid? Why wouldn't you doubly insure the child if possible? If Medicaid is secondary, doctor visits shouldn't cost anything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">