• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child living arrangements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Sandy Fox

What is the name of your state?
my husband and i live in iowa. his ex-wife has physical custody of his kids, ages 14 and 11. the kids are wanting to move in with us because his ex-wife comes home from the bar, drunk quite often. when she comes home drunk, the cusses the kids out, calling them all kinds of bad names. what are the kids' rights in this case? what do we do first? thank you.

The kids have school counselors. Have them talk to them.
In the mean time, Have DAD talk to mom. Not you... sorry.
If DAD can't get mom to listen, then maybe he should tell her that he's gonna call the authorities.
Scare some since into her.

Also, Could the kids be stretching the truth a bit? Playing both parents against each other?

djohnson

I agree with cookie but was wondering if they are in the same state as you? The way you said it made me wonder. If they are and you are convinced of it and you want the children to live with you then gather all the proof (not just their word) you can and fight for custody. It will be a long hard battle.

If your DH tries talking to mom maybe she will agree to an extended visit at first. Maybe even try talking to her about seeking help. Anything that can be done amicably will be better off on everyone involved.

P

poohbear_1976

this is what he should do

he should go to the local court house and file papers for custody.you might want to hire a lawyer also.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
He's going to likely have to prove the mother unfit. The 14 yo stands a good chance of speaking with the judge, but probably not the 11 yo. If they are doing well in school, are well-adjusted, etc - what you've stated may not be enough to change custody. Dad should really speak with a local lawyer to see what sort of case he has and how he can strengthen it.

C

Corroded

Hex, as always you're an idiot. If you can't answer the poor girl just don't post! Simple concept, eh? ;)

Oh yeah, get better info sources. I don't have an FJ1200 on order (they haven't made them for 10 years or so), and I haven't done anything along the lines of making a bunch of aliases, either. Like I said, if you need info, just ask, I have NO problem sharing. Lunch would be VERY satisfying for me, too. :D

I don't lie, and I don't hide. Later! :D FJGuy!

H

hexeliebe

And, as always jackass, you have given no legal advice, not concept of what the law requires and no understanding of the issues....

Typical for a rice burning butthead.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Corroded said:
I haven't done anything along the lines of making a bunch of aliases, either.
I've seen a couple, Lyle. Or are you saying that you haven't signed any other aliases with Lyle or FJ or FJGuy?

D

ddamron

hex/stealth

At the risk of being publicly humiliated for posting this reply, I must say the following: I post on this forum for the simple fact that i am looking for answers to questions that i have no idea how to answer. I look forward to getting a reply from both of you, as i hold your answers in high regard. However, i find it very disheartening when i read a reply from you that seems a little less than professional. I believe that a good number of members on this forum look to you for valuable advice and i would hate for that to change. Although, I know that while you are professionals, you are also human, negativity tends to perpetuate as it gets going. Please help myself as well as other to keep the faith in this forum. Constructive criticism is always better than negative feedback. Your opinions are highly regarded. sincerely DD

C

Corroded

Oh, no I'm sorry Stealth, I was refering to a post that Hex-baby deleted where he said I was at some site making up a ton of aliases or whatever... sorry to be unclear on that. Hex knew what I meant, I think. If I make a new name because one has gotten banned, I will always sign it, since I hate hiding... so far in here only 2. This one and NiceTry.

Oh and Hex? Where was YOUR legal advice? "Buy earmuffs"? Or did I miss it? LOL. Ah well, no loss there. But one thing I regret... calling you a name. This is my new years resolution.

Uh... you DO know Harleys have japanese carbs, shocks, and more, right? And that the V-rod has a german created engine? Not knocking that, mind you... just don't want you dogging my Sporty next.

Very mature Hex.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
ddamron said:
hex/stealth

At the risk of being publicly humiliated for posting this reply, I must say the following: I post on this forum for the simple fact that i am looking for answers to questions that i have no idea how to answer. I look forward to getting a reply from both of you, as i hold your answers in high regard. However, i find it very disheartening when i read a reply from you that seems a little less than professional. I believe that a good number of members on this forum look to you for valuable advice and i would hate for that to change. Although, I know that while you are professionals, you are also human, negativity tends to perpetuate as it gets going. Please help myself as well as other to keep the faith in this forum. Constructive criticism is always better than negative feedback. Your opinions are highly regarded. sincerely DD
hehe no humiliation from me. But we're not all attorneys - most of us (myself included) are just lowly schlubs who know what we know of the law from experience in the trenches.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Corroded said:
Oh, no I'm sorry Stealth, I was refering to a post that Hex-baby deleted where he said I was at some site making up a ton of aliases or whatever... sorry to be unclear on that. Hex knew what I meant, I think. If I make a new name because one has gotten banned, I will always sign it, since I hate hiding... so far in here only 2. This one and NiceTry.
No problem - just trying to keep everyone straight in my head. ;-)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">