• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child medicine

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mewiai

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AL / MS

My ex-wife has took it on herself to get my son on ADHD medicine and expects me to pay half the medicine bill. I do not agree with the medicine or his need to be on it. We have joint custody and she is threatening to take me to court. She would love for me to not be able to live, do I have a say?

Humusluvr

My ex-wife has took it on herself to get my son on ADHD medicine and expects me to pay half the medicine bill. I do not agree with the medicine or his need to be on it. We have joint custody and she is threatening to take me to court. She would love for me to not be able to live, do I have a say?
Yes, you may live!!! ;)

lealea1005

Just because you don't agree with your son's need (aka: don't want to pay) to take the medication doesn't mean he wasn't peoperly diagnosed with ADHD....unless, of course, you're a board certified Physician.

mewiai

hmmm

It is not my intention not to pay for it. I just don't agree with the medication and it's side effects.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
It is not my intention not to pay for it. I just don't agree with the medication and it's side effects.
If the child was diagnosed by a licensed doctor who then prescribed the medication, a court will require you to follow the court order for payment. If you do not pay and mom takes you to court for contempt, then you will also end up paying her attorney fees and the costs of the medication. If you can't live paying for medication how are you going to live paying HER attorney fees?

nextwife

this is no where close to needing insulin************** Thanks Ohiogal for the info....
My POINT is . . .

Just because there is no blood test that shows a child is ADHD does not mean they are not so, and would not benefit from appropriate medication.

The side affects, for an ADHD child of NOT having medicine, due to lack of focus, impulsivity and bad decision making, is oft times becoming a social outcast. behavior problems, severly impaired learning ability, resulting in poor self image, falling behind academically, and all sorts of other problems.

Last edited:

Humusluvr

My POINT is . . .

Just because there is no blood test that shows a child is ADHD does not mean they are not so, and would not benefit from appropriate medication.

The side affects, for an ADHD child of NOT having medicine, due to lack of focus, impulsivity and bad decision making, is oft times becoming a social outcast. behavior problems, severly impaired learning ability, resulting in poor self image, poor self esteem, losing out on classtoom learning, and all sorts of other problems.
Just to argue the other side, respectfully :)

A lot of craptastic parents get their kids medicated for ADHD, when they should just be applying a little TLC and discipline. If my ex showed up one day and said, "I put kiddo on ADHD meds," I would want to have my own doctor examine him.

I saw it in the schools I have worked in. Parents who are sucky parents just medicate their children because its "easier."

But, if the OP doesn't attempt to have a second opinion, and this goes to court, he will be out of luck. OP - ask for a second opinion with a doc YOU choose.

Silverplum

Just to argue the other side, respectfully :)

A lot of craptastic parents get their kids medicated for ADHD, when they should just be applying a little TLC and discipline. If my ex showed up one day and said, "I put kiddo on ADHD meds," I would want to have my own doctor examine him.

I saw it in the schools I have worked in. Parents who are sucky parents just medicate their children because its "easier."

But, if the OP doesn't attempt to have a second opinion, and this goes to court, he will be out of luck. OP - ask for a second opinion with a doc YOU choose.
I'd like to cosign this, please. Respectfully, of course.

Get a 2nd opinion. Don't be a craptastic parent.

mewiai

Will do!

Not being a craptastic parent is why I am contesting this easy way out and lack of dicipline parenting method. I know some children need this medicine but knowing my situation and my child just casuses concern. I will have a second opinion by another Dr. . . Thanks

Zephyr

I'd like to cosign this, please. Respectfully, of course.

Get a 2nd opinion. Don't be a craptastic parent.
I'll third......there are also other non medicinal treatment options available...mom should have discussed (if you have joint legal) the problems kiddo was having and you should have worked together in finding the solution that works best for your child....if mom went ahead and did this without informing you, without getting your input, your agreement- depending on the wording of your order, mom might actually be flirting with contempt

LdiJ

If you have joint legal custody, then you have a say. However, if it goes before a judge the judge will have to make the decision based on the facts of the matter. If the child's doctor believes that the child needs the medicine, the judge may side with mom.

You do have to pay your share of any unreimbursed medical expenses.

haiku

years ago my step child was on meds for ADD and my husband was unaware until a related issue came up and my husband called the doctor and asked for a meeting.

The parents had joint custody, and when my husband told the doctor he didn't agree with this particular med (mom and dad had a disagreement about what should be used) The doctor removed the child from the med, because the mother had wrongly assured the doctor she was the only one allowed to make decisions.

I am not saying it would go that far for you, but the point is, YOU need to be proactive and get involved if you have joint legal custody.

tired in AZ

If it is ordered by a doctor, then you are responsible for your portion of the bill. You would have to prove your child does not need the medicine...taking them to another doctor and then go to court on it. Maybe you just want to take the child for a second opinion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">