• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child of us citizen in a different country

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Annanyc

A family member was in a long distance relationship with someone from Philippines, who worked in China. The woman got pregnant, she wants to give birth to the child. Their relationship is not great. The guy who is a us citizen wants to bring the child to the USA and raise it here. I want to know what the process would be since the child will be born in a different country, to bring the child to the USA.

FlyingRon

If the child is not HIS child, the chances are pretty darned slim.
If the child IS his, the chances are better but complicated since it was born abroad and out of wedlock.
He should talk to an immigration attorney.

LdiJ

A family member was in a long distance relationship with someone from Philippines, who worked in China. The woman got pregnant, she wants to give birth to the child. Their relationship is not great. The guy who is a us citizen wants to bring the child to the USA and raise it here. I want to know what the process would be since the child will be born in a different country, to bring the child to the USA.
Well, of course the first step would be for him to establish paternity and the child's US citizenship. However, if he thinks that he is going to be able to bring the child to the US to raise, without the mother of the child's express permission, he is living in fantasyland.

FlyingRon

Well, of course the first step would be for him to establish paternity and the child's US citizenship. However, if he thinks that he is going to be able to bring the child to the US to raise, without the mother of the child's express permission, he is living in fantasyland.
Oh, and having a child with her (even if known to be his and determined to be a US citizen) doesn't give baby mama any rights to come to the US either.

LdiJ

Oh, and having a child with her (even if known to be his and determined to be a US citizen) doesn't give baby mama any rights to come to the US either.
Of course not, but it really didn't sound like he had any interest in bringing baby mama to the US, just the child.

Annanyc

Of course not, but it really didn't sound like he had any interest in bringing baby mama to the US, just the child.
The mother of the child wants to have the baby due to religious beliefs. After the baby is born she wants to give it up, in that case the father wants to raise the child and not give it up. The mother of the child most likely was in the relationship for a green card. The father want to take responsibility of the child. Her parents are pushing the father to marry her and bring her to the USA. He will try to get a test to make sure the child is HIS. We just wanted information. Thank you for ur help.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The mother of the child wants to have the baby due to religious beliefs. After the baby is born she wants to give it up, in that case the father wants to raise the child and not give it up. The mother of the child most likely was in the relationship for a green card. The father want to take responsibility of the child. Her parents are pushing the father to marry her and bring her to the USA. He will try to get a test to make sure the child is HIS. We just wanted information. Thank you for ur help.
Then that is based upon the country in which the child is born.

FlyingRon

As OhioGal and Ldij mention, your friend has two problems.

1. Getting the baby out of India. Alas this is outside the scope of this forum. I can tell you it is likely to be near impossible without the mother's acquiescence.

2. Getting the baby into the US. The problem here is the child was both born abroad and out of wedlock. He's going to have to show proof of paternity (which is going to be involved with the child overseas) and also there are additional hurdles to be met.

I would suggest dealing with an immigration lawyer who specializes in Indian immigrants. He will likely know how to reach competent legal counsel in India.

LdiJ

As OhioGal and Ldij mention, your friend has two problems.

1. Getting the baby out of India. Alas this is outside the scope of this forum. I can tell you it is likely to be near impossible without the mother's acquiescence.

2. Getting the baby into the US. The problem here is the child was both born abroad and out of wedlock. He's going to have to show proof of paternity (which is going to be involved with the child overseas) and also there are additional hurdles to be met.

I would suggest dealing with an immigration lawyer who specializes in Indian immigrants. He will likely know how to reach competent legal counsel in India.
Ron, India has nothing to do with this thread. Its a Filipina woman working in China and a US citizen.

FlyingRon

Delete India, Replace with Phillipines. Sorry about that. I doubt the mother was a US citizen. The poster said she was in the relationship for a green card.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">