• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child ssi

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tnk0311

What is the name of your state? Florida

Hello my son (11yo) and my partner recieves ssi for disability. Other then that we are a low income family. I was wondering if we were to get married how would that affect both their benefits? Right now my son receives the max bc my income is low. If we marry will it affect both? Do they combind the benefits together or will they both still recieve their own share? Any info would be great plz
Thank you

FlyingRon

Not unless your spouse adopts your son. Stepparent income isn't counted, only natural or adoptive parents who are living in the same household.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Are they receiving SSDI or SSI? There is a difference.

SSDI has dependent benefits that are available; if the parent is on SSDI, dependent benefits will be paid if there is a child/children in the household. SSDI is not income-based, but rather based on the parent's work history.

SSI does not have dependent benefits; it is federal welfare for those who have not worked enough to bank SSDI credits.

LdiJ

I'm assuming SSI since income is not a concern for SSDI.
If you knew the number of people that I have heard use SSI, when they are really receiving SSDI you would be amazed.

While its possible that a mother and son could both be disabled and therefore both receiving SSI, its more likely that if a mother and son are both receiving benefits, that its SSDI.

Janke

I am going to assume that Tnk0311 is correct and both the child and the partner is getting SSI and not SSDI.

There are formulas that determine how much of a parent or spouse's income is used in computing SSI. It is called deeming. When there is a spouse and child who are both on SSI, the income of the non-entitled spouse/parent is first used in computing the SSI of the spouse. If that computation reduces the SSI to zero, then the excess is used to compute the deemed income to the child. If the income of the spouse/parent is currently too low to affect the SSI for the child, then that same income would not be enough to affect the SSI of the spouse.
https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0501320650

Also, this does not automate correctly and requires manual inputs by the field office.

And, contrary to the info above, a non-entitled stepparent's income is deemable to the the step child as long as the parents are living together.
https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0501310145

If the non-entitled spouse just happens to be receiving TANF, then none of the income is deemable to the spouse or child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">