• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support After 18

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mdhull35

In June of 2018 my child support obligation ended when he turned 18. In June of 2019 he was diagnosed with cancer. Now in August of 2020 he is 20yrs old, ex wife is asking for more child support. Is that possible? I am paying arrears off now.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
It would also be useful to know, I suppose, if he is able to support himself or do his treatments make that impossible? Is he living on his own or with Mom?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If the child support order has actually ended per a court order, then it would be difficult (if not impossible) to start a new child support order. Having said that, the fact is that she is, at the very least, attempting to do so. You should consult with an attorney.

Zigner

Do you have an objection to helping while your son battles cancer?
I was going to ask that, but I suspect it's much more likely that he has a problem sending mom the money at this point. From a legal point of view, I don't blame him.

Zigner

For the OP - was your son still attending school when he turned 18? Is he now attending school (or, would he be if not for the Virus)?

mdhull35

Not attending school, not sure if he's able to work. I don't have a problem helping him just not as child support. He lives with mom

Zigner

Did you get a court order to end the child support, or did you just rely on it automatically occurring?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Not attending school, not sure if he's able to work. I don't have a problem helping him just not as child support. He lives with mom
It occurs to me that it might be time for you to talk to your son. And possibly to your ex. Is he under her insurance? Does he HAVE insurance? Especially if he is unable to work, the expenses may well be overwhelming. How much are you in arrears? How much are you paying monthly?

It's rather unlikely that you can be forced legally to pay additional child support, but ...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">