• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support after 20 Years

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? i live in ohio. have lived here since 1979. i had a child out of wedlock his mother left and i did not see mike until he was six months old. we did the paternaty and child support. I had regular visitation. after about six months. after six months his mother dissappered and could not be found. my mother even contacted her mother. after talking with my fathers attorney he advised me to send a letter to the courts and not to pay support. it has been 19 years and my son came to see me. now after all this time the child support people are saying i owe back support. and that his mother is asking for it. i have been trying to contact the person in charge of my case with no succses. quetion is am i obligated to pay this child support? this is the first that i have heard from the court in 19 years.


Senior Member
Since there was a court order for support back then, if it wasn't terminated by the court with a court order and the case was still open then I'm afraid you owe it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential