• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support and college

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Elissmith

In MA, we are expected to pay child support and "share" college expenses. My question is the following: My stepson, who has cut off all contact with us, is going on to college. His mother is expecting us to pay 1/2 of the tuition, room and board costs, along with all other fees. She is also expecting the same amount of child support. The divoce agreement states that child support continues should the 18 yr old go on to college and also states that the college costs will be "shared", with no more elaboration on this. He will be living away from home. Is it worthwhile to pay an attorney to lower the child support? Is our contribution to his schooling expected to be 50/50...even when we had no input into the decision about what school he is going to? In order to afford his college costs, we will go further into debt. Thanks!

Last edited:

Gracie3787

Elissmith said:
In MA, we are expected to pay child support and "share" college expenses. My question is the following: My stepson, who has cut off all contact with us, is going on to college. His mother is expecting us to pay 1/2 of the tuition, room and board costs, along with all other fees. She is also expecting the same amount of child support. He will be living away from home. Is it worthwhile to pay an attorney to lower the child support? Is our contribution to his schooling expected to be 50/50...even when we had no input into the decision about what school he is going to? In order to afford his college costs, we will go further into debt. Thanks!
Before any one can really give advice, we need to know exactly what the court order states in reference to college costs and CS.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">