• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support check bounced due to closed bank account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beam_buzz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

My soon to be ex's (less than half) child support payment check bounced because he closed his bank account. What are my options?

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

My soon to be ex's (less than half) child support payment check bounced because he closed his bank account. What are my options?
Is the support court-ordered? Does he pay you directly or through the State?

Did you notify him?

OHRoadwarrior

Why is he paying you directly and it not going through the CS bureau? You could pursue the process of him writing you a bad check, however, if you are illegally receiving gov't services without declaring support and that is why you have him pay you this way, expect him to roll over on you also.

beam_buzz

Thank you for your responses.... Yes, it was court ordered just this past November per a General Magistrate. We are supposed to go to a final court hearing in Feb and finalize everything (including the CS payments through the bureau and sign off on the Parenting Plan which he has had for months now) but my ex just advised that his lawyer asked him for a final payment of $10K and he will not pay it. So what now? How much time do I have to wait? this divorce has been going on for 18 very long months....
Can I go to the CS bureau directly and request his CS payments be deducted from his paycheck?

OHRoadwarrior

If the court issued a temp order, you need to file for contempt. I would still pursue bad check remedies unless he has a good reason for mercy. We are not privy to his financial situation and whether he is struggling to pay his bills or intentionally trying to create undue hardship for you.

LdiJ

Thank you for your responses.... Yes, it was court ordered just this past November per a General Magistrate. We are supposed to go to a final court hearing in Feb and finalize everything (including the CS payments through the bureau and sign off on the Parenting Plan which he has had for months now) but my ex just advised that his lawyer asked him for a final payment of $10K and he will not pay it. So what now? How much time do I have to wait? this divorce has been going on for 18 very long months....
Can I go to the CS bureau directly and request his CS payments be deducted from his paycheck?
Yes, you CAN go to the CS bureau with your child support order and get it garnished from his paychecks...assuming that he is actually employed by someone.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">