• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support/custody and owed arrears

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T.S

So my daughter (15) has decided to permanently live with her father so he now has legal custody. He owes me back pay in over $16,000, could he put me on child support? If so what happens to the back pay. Or some sort of helpfully advice. I get SSDI and she gets a payment as dependant I read somewhere that I could use it as child support or have payment deducted from his arrears, is this true. The child support order was given in Texas he lives in New Mexico.

LdiJ

So my daughter (15) has decided to permanently live with her father so he now has legal custody. He owes me back pay in over $16,000, could he put me on child support? If so what happens to the back pay. Or some sort of helpfully advice. I get SSDI and she gets a payment as dependant I read somewhere that I could use it as child support or have payment deducted from his arrears, is this true. The child support order was given in Texas he lives in New Mexico.
If he tried to get child support from you, you have two actual defenses. The first defense is if she is receiving a benefit from your SSDI, and he is receiving that benefit as her rep payee, then that should count as child support. The second defense is that he owes you the 16000.00. The end result really should be that he has to continue to pay off that 16k because he will be receiving support via the SS payment to his daughter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">