• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support department asking me (CP) to pay back 10 yr old payments that were NSF???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BeccaHalv

What is the name of your state? Washington State
I received a Certified Letter yesterday, that held a notice stating the Division of Child Support is attempting to "recover payments" from 10 years ago, that apparently shouldn't have been made to me because NCP wrote bad checks? Honestly, I don't recall if I ever received these payments or not. They apparently totaled $340.00, altogether. I am still owed over $30,000 in back child support, however NCP passed away in July 2019. Here's my question: Is it legal that the Division of Child Support sent me payments before they even checked to see if NCP's checks would clear his account? Why should I have to pay these back now, and why didn't I receive notice of these "overpayments" sooner? Do I have any rights here? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Is it legal that the Division of Child Support sent me payments before they even checked to see if NCP's checks would clear his account?
Yes, of course.
Why should I have to pay these back now ...
Because you got money from them that they didn't actually receive from the NCP.
... and why didn't I receive notice of these "overpayments" sooner?
There's really no telling...but it really doesn't matter, does it?
Do I have any rights here?
Of course you do.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
You could try to argue that they need to pursue the payment from his estate, but, my advice would be to pay it, quite honestly. You're going to expend WAY more than $340 in fighting this.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Yes, of course.
Because you got money from them that they didn't actually receive from the NCP.
There's really no telling...but it really doesn't matter, does it?
Of course you do.
You could try to argue that they need to pursue the payment from his estate, but, my advice would be to pay it, quite honestly. You're going to expend WAY more than $340 in fighting this.
ITA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">