• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support ends when???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MadYank

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I am hoping for some help with the clarification of my divorce decree as it relates to child support as it sounds contracting to me. Here is what it says.

...payable on the first day of each month thereafter until the first month following the date of the earliest occurrence of one of the events specified below:
1. any child reaches the age of eighteen years or graduates from high school, whichever occurs later, subject to the provisions for support beyond the age of eighteen years set out below;

Then it states:

Thereafter, is ORDERED to pay to support of $ per month, due and payable on the first day of the first month immediately following the date of the earliest occurrence of one of the events specified above for another child and a like sum of $ due and payable on the first day of each month thereafter until the next occurrence of one of the events specified above for
another child.

The first statement says whichever occurs later where the second statement says "date of the earliest occurrence". My daughter turns 18 in May and her last day of school and graduation ceremony is scheduled on June 1st. I'm just looking for clarification and want to do what is right per the divorce decree. So I am not sure if the amount changes as a result of her turning 18 or if I have to pay for June because her graduation day is June 1st.

Thanks!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I am hoping for some help with the clarification of my divorce decree as it relates to child support as it sounds contracting to me. Here is what it says.

...payable on the first day of each month thereafter until the first month following the date of the earliest occurrence of one of the events specified below:
1. any child reaches the age of eighteen years or graduates from high school, whichever occurs later, subject to the provisions for support beyond the age of eighteen years set out below;

Then it states:

Thereafter, is ORDERED to pay to support of $ per month, due and payable on the first day of the first month immediately following the date of the earliest occurrence of one of the events specified above for another child and a like sum of $ due and payable on the first day of each month thereafter until the next occurrence of one of the events specified above for
another child.

The first statement says whichever occurs later where the second statement says "date of the earliest occurrence". My daughter turns 18 in May and her last day of school and graduation ceremony is scheduled on June 1st. I'm just looking for clarification and want to do what is right per the divorce decree. So I am not sure if the amount changes as a result of her turning 18 or if I have to pay for June because her graduation day is June 1st.

Thanks!
Pry open your wallet one more month and pay for June.

LdiJ

Then it states:

another child.

Thanks!
Are there more children under the child support order than just the daughter who is graduating? If there are more children, and your income has increased since the order was last modified, then I am going to recommend that you run some numbers before you raise any issues.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">