• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Enforcement U.I.F.S.A.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mikkella

What is the name of your state? NH

I got divorced in MA, which is where my child support order originated. Arrears built up, and the MA I.C.E. team got involved. I then moved to NH, and have been trying to get MA to send the certified copies of the order and arrears to NH..meanwhile in limbo since last Sept..... My ex lives in FL, and I have asked several times for a U.I.F.S.A. or contempt...something...but as I said my case is in limbo. Is there anything I can do to help speed things along..(haha) short of requesting the copies myself, which I have all ready done?
And can someone please tell me what Ursisia is??
Thank you

kat1963

Uniform Reciprocal Enforcement of Support Act was made in the 50's. In late 1960 it became Revised Uniform Reciprocal Enforcement of Support Act. Then the feds decided to change it to Uniform Interstate Family Support Act. I believe today all states have adopted it...or I'm sure the feds would threaten to cut off funding. I wish I could help you speed things up with the registering of the support order in NH. However, MA should have had no problem sending your income withholding to your employer in NH (that's part of UIFSA)...but just like everything else concerning c/s/e, FUSTRATING to say the least. You should still have been able to make payments however, or your arrears are going to be out of sight when they finally get their records straight. Have you done a search for the central registr of both NH & MA? That might be another source of information for you or at least provide someone to contact to get the ball rolling. I believe every state has to have one.
Good Luck!
KAT

M

Mikkella

I'm sorry for the confusion. I am not the one who owes child support, he is. As it stands now, I have no case open in any state until MA decides to pull their heads outta their a**. I'm assuming the arrears continue to build up..he's paid 50.00 in 2 yrs, out of $112.00 a week. Do the arrears come to NH when my case is transferred, or do the arrears stay in MA? Thanks!

kat1963

Wait a minute, what state is your ex in???? Because if he is still in MA, they will still have jurisdiction (as long as one party still lives there).
KAT

M

Mikkella

LOL...the order is in MA, I am in NH, he is in FL...that's the current problem. Ma is sooooo slow in getting my case transferred to NH.

kat1963

If he has never lived in NH then FL would have jurisdiction over him. Support doesn't necessarily follow the CP. That is why there is a Federal interstate support act. Besides a ton of other things, it prevents the CP from moving to a different jurisdiction for higher and longer child support awards. I'm not saying that is what you are doing, just making a statement. (our bio tried this and bragged to her friends, that's what lead me research it) Say, you lived in one state where the child support amount was 15% of net income and child support terminates at 18 no matter what. You decide that's not enough and move to a different state that takes both incomes into consideration, (you don't work since remarrying and have an infant so no income, therefore making the NCP 90% responsible financially for the child..example) and in addition, the new state enforces child support until the child is 20 and also provides for the CP to collect for secondary education of the minor. It doesn't work that way. Sure NH can file, if he decides to have it heard up there, then that's fine. But he can file to dismiss due to NH not having jurisdiction over him...so the whole thing will have to be moved to Florida (because NH can't collect, they have no power)...more time, you know how slow these things can go. It would probably be easier to have MA have the original order sent down to FL for collections. FL can take this information by fax as well, it doesn't necessarily have to be mailed in. Do you have his address down there? Is he working? Just my thoughts here.
KAT

M

Mikkella

Since I am the one who filed, and lived in MA at the time, then MA had jurisdiction. Since moving, child support follows me to the state in which I Live, it's all a matter of transferring the case, then NH will have jurisdiction. This is what I was told by the courts. (You peaked my curiosity, and I called.) In the meantime, MA still has my case open until all the paperwork has been sent, and a case opened in NH. What a pain in the butt!! I'm never moving again!! LOL
It's sad what you described, people moving just so their child support can continue, or increase. I guess it takes all kinds.

kat1963

While your case could be transfered, NH has no juridiction over your ex in Florida. It will have to be sent to FL for collection, the state that does have juridiction over him. I'm sorry, but I really think you were given the wrong information. In addition, any future filings while, NH can serve him, he can respond with a motion to dismiss based on NH not having jurisdiction over him or not respond at all..when he doesn't it will simply be sent to Florida. Then he will have to be served again by FL. Please do an internet search. There is a worksheet of sorts that I came across on this where you check off the information and it will tell you how the interstate child support regulations effect your case and where you need to file. I have to leave soon for surgery or else I"d look for you. Do this because if you were given the wrong information (and I really think you were) it will just tie you up..long time! Trust me, c/s/e makes more mistakes then...oh heck. You have to be...errr...stern with them. I know having been a cp (my son's 18 now, support ordered & collected thru VA, I lived in MD at the time) and now with DH having to pay the troll...gosh, it wasn't even a month after the order that I didn't have to fight it out with them...had to mention VA statues that award $$ if they are wrong..ggezzz.
Good Luck!
KAT

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">