• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Enforcement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GreaterGood

What is the name of your state? MN

I'm having issues getting answers from my county child support worker. I currently have child support taken out of my paycheck, along with some that goes to arrears (from the original order they went back). I had a few inbetween jobs times where I fell behind and then the enforcement methods kicked in. The enforcement methods are really dragging me down. I've been paying for years without any gaps in employment or missed payments but my support continues to be reported as delinquent. I also have state grant holds and passport denial. My childs mother and I get along, and shes willing to help me remove those enforcement methods but the county tells me the only way she can do that is if she completely removes child support, which she obviously does not want to do.

I found information on the county website about "income withholding only services," and apply for that. The website also mentions removing full services, but at anytime you can apply again.

Does anyone know if its possible to remove the enforcement methods and still have income withholding for child support and arrears? There is a court order in place for child support and the mother does not receive public assistance.

Based on what I read on the department of human services website it seems possible, but the county worker never gives me a straight answer and she barely responds to my phone calls or emails, so I cant get anything in motion. She has actually completely ignored my questions and gave me answers to questions I never asked. Not only that, but she has referred me to the department of human services, and the department of human services refers me back to the county for answers to my questions. I actually feel like the county worker is blatantly giving me the run around. Either that or she is grossly incompetent.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? MN

I'm having issues getting answers from my county child support worker. I currently have child support taken out of my paycheck, along with some that goes to arrears (from the original order they went back). I had a few inbetween jobs times where I fell behind and then the enforcement methods kicked in. The enforcement methods are really dragging me down. I've been paying for years without any gaps in employment or missed payments but my support continues to be reported as delinquent. I also have state grant holds and passport denial. My childs mother and I get along, and shes willing to help me remove those enforcement methods but the county tells me the only way she can do that is if she completely removes child support, which she obviously does not want to do.

I found information on the county website about "income withholding only services," and apply for that. The website also mentions removing full services, but at anytime you can apply again.

Does anyone know if its possible to remove the enforcement methods and still have income withholding for child support and arrears? There is a court order in place for child support and the mother does not receive public assistance.

Based on what I read on the department of human services website it seems possible, but the county worker never gives me a straight answer and she barely responds to my phone calls or emails, so I cant get anything in motion. She has actually completely ignored my questions and gave me answers to questions I never asked. Not only that, but she has referred me to the department of human services, and the department of human services refers me back to the county for answers to my questions. I actually feel like the county worker is blatantly giving me the run around. Either that or she is grossly incompetent.
You do understand that even when you are between jobs that you are supposed to be paying your child support directly to the enforcement agency? You owe the support and are supposed to be paying it even when you have no paycheck for it to come out of.

Your best bet, at this point, would be to find a way to get a loan to pay off your arrears, so that you will no longer be under "enforcement methods".

GreaterGood

Of course I understand that. Are you being sarcastic? I’m aware I owe the support otherwise I would have asked a different question.

GreaterGood

Just in case anybody was wondering- I pay arrears regularly. I fell behind 3 months about 7 years ago, pretty much right after the support order went into effect. Right before I had planned to move out of state. I was also fighting for parenting time because she refused to let him visit me. At the time, I was charged an automatic 2 years for prior support. With interest being charged, I was barely chipping away at it but I’ve managed to bring it down significantly. So I’m not crying about the money, it’s getting paid and it’s been paid for many years. I just want it to come off of my credit and it’s only fair since I’ve been paying regularly for many years.

LdiJ

Just in case anybody was wondering- I pay arrears regularly. I fell behind 3 months about 7 years ago, pretty much right after the support order went into effect. Right before I had planned to move out of state. I was also fighting for parenting time because she refused to let him visit me. At the time, I was charged an automatic 2 years for prior support. With interest being charged, I was barely chipping away at it but I’ve managed to bring it down significantly. So I’m not crying about the money, it’s getting paid and it’s been paid for many years. I just want it to come off of my credit and it’s only fair since I’ve been paying regularly for many years.
I understand a bit better now, but the reality of things is that it's not going to come off of your credit until you no longer have any arrears. So, again, if you can get a loan from somewhere to pay off the arrears you might be better off, credit wise.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">