• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support fiasco! in dire need of help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Extremely long story short,

I filed married / joint. with my wife, which is just on paper, she has been roaming around oregon for 3 years, but we agreed that since i have our two kids 365 days a year that is how we will file, Never once has she paid or helped with finances, longer details short. lol. i've been awarded as of this aug. nearly 12,000 in child support from her, court ordered, so i go ahead and file my taxes this yr like normal,. return is nice in both areas, almost 10k and low and behold, i get a offset, on both state and federal, Sweeeeoooooop there goes both returns.. to .. get this .. child support... which intern, from what i have been told, can and most likely take up to 6months, if my assumption is correxct to the tune of my two refunds.. now my/our taxes is soley all my wages, she doesn't work.. etc.. but if i file injured spouse, or spousal relief i could be entitled to maaybe half of the return in sum. but if i wait it out i could net it completely back? i called BFS and the treasurary in kansas or .. where ever in the midwest it was. anyhow they confirmed everything i had been reading up and researching on the night prior, that there wasn't jack they could do, the money goes back to the National child support division, and it then sits there for a while, then skips over to this other place.. sits there for a while.. then finnaly when its beyond standable it drops so gently and slowly into your states child enforcement division and soforth and so forth and wow. so ANYONE please give me some advice! Thank you in advance.

LdiJ

I filed married / joint. with my wife, which is just on paper, she has been roaming around oregon for 3 years, but we agreed that since i have our two kids 365 days a year that is how we will file, Never once has she paid or helped with finances, longer details short. lol. i've been awarded as of this aug. nearly 12,000 in child support from her, court ordered, so i go ahead and file my taxes this yr like normal,. return is nice in both areas, almost 10k and low and behold, i get a offset, on both state and federal, Sweeeeoooooop there goes both returns.. to .. get this .. child support... which intern, from what i have been told, can and most likely take up to 6months, if my assumption is correxct to the tune of my two refunds.. now my/our taxes is soley all my wages, she doesn't work.. etc.. but if i file injured spouse, or spousal relief i could be entitled to maaybe half of the return in sum. but if i wait it out i could net it completely back? i called BFS and the treasurary in kansas or .. where ever in the midwest it was. anyhow they confirmed everything i had been reading up and researching on the night prior, that there wasn't jack they could do, the money goes back to the National child support division, and it then sits there for a while, then skips over to this other place.. sits there for a while.. then finnaly when its beyond standable it drops so gently and slowly into your states child enforcement division and soforth and so forth and wow. so ANYONE please give me some advice! Thank you in advance.
Are you saying that you filed a joint return with your wife? Otherwise I cannot see how they could have seized YOUR refund to pay for HER child support arrears.

If she is not actually present in your life and the lives of the children either, I also don't see HOW you could have filed a joint return, since she would not have been present to sign or ok the electronic filing.

If you and she did not live together at all for the last six months of the year, you could have perhaps validly filed as head of household.

So, you have more problems than just the fact that the refund has been seized for child support which will cause you a delay in receiving it. I suggest that you exercise some patience and wait to receive the money as child support. In the meantime, its probably time to make things official and get a divorce.

Just Blue

Is this in OR?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">