• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support for 18 yr old

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? TX

I have an 18 year old son who is still in high school. I paid $300 a month child support, excluding summers (by agreement with his mother), until he came to live with me when he was 14. This was not done through the court. In the spring he moved back in with his mother. While he lived with me his mother paid no support and no bills for him except for adding him to her car insurance policy after he began to drive at 16.

His mother and I made an agreement that I would begin paying $75 a week starting Sept. 1 (still $300 a month). I sent the first $75 in time for the 1st. After receiving this she decided that it wasn't good enough because now she has extra bills for her "step-son that is now in college" and wants me to give her a lump sum for the summer by Sept. 15 or she will go to the atty gen for back child support and wants the $300 paid at one time, not weekly "because it is too much trouble". I have recently filed bankruptcy and cannot possibly come up with any amount of cash.

Do I have any recourse for back child support from HER? What will happen if she does go to the attorney general? Could I end up getting stuck with back child support for the past 4 years?
Also - am I obligated to help pay for summer school for classes that HE failed because of fooling around? I think that is the basis for her asking for money for the summer.

Thanks for any advice/suggestions


Senior Member
Yes, you could be on the hook for the past 4 years of back child support. Nothing can change a court order but a court order, you didn't do that and it was a HUGE mistake. How could she in good conscience do that to you after she didn't pay support for her own kid? I dunno, but some do. What you can do to at least try and cover yourself is to gather all the documentation that proves your son lived with you for those years, school records, medical records, witnesses ect. Hopefully you will get an understanding judge and not some Daddy bias monster. You'll want to get all your ducks in a row at this point, because she probably will do this. And she could be entitled to an increase in support after all these years. Go to www.childsupportguidelines.com to calculate what your new support order just might be. I wouldn't give her a dime for clothing, he's old enough to get a job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential