• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support for child not living with mother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

M. L. Carter

What is the name of your state? California

After a number of years I have discovered that the child I have been paying support for is not even living with his mother, but instead his grandmother in a different city than where his mother resides. I have no idea if this child recieves the money. I actually pay support directly to the Prosecuting Attorney's office secondary to the problem of her not cashing my checks, who pays it directly to the mother. Still, I do not know if the PA's office knows that the child doesn't live with his mother. I want to know for sure that he is getting the entire amount of money and therefore would like the money to go directly to his caretaker, in this case his grandmother. Should I contact the PA's office regarding this matter or take it into my own hands and pay his grandmother directly and let the sparks fly as they may. One final question...the child is 18 but has not finished high school (will be a senior next year), how long does a parent have to pay support in the event the child is not considered by the school district as eligible for graduation because of poor grades?

Last edited:

Grace_Adler

kat1963

Grace, do have the link for NC and terminating child support for failing grades? How about dropping out? Interesting, very interesting. As you know, biotroll moved to NC w/no notice to us or the courts. I doubt sd is going back, 16 and in the 8th grade AGAIN? SS will be in the same position shortly.

MLCarter, as Grace said, you can't change the order yourself. It would take another court order to do so. Luckily, it seems your days of being forced to pay child support are ending. Have you tried contacting the grandmom or the almost adult child? If you had been informed of this from the git go, you could have filed for custody since it appears biomom was unable to care for him. In addition, I'd also obtain his school records. This way if the CP tries to take you back for an increase or longer support, heck, he doesn't even live with the CP so she probably wouldn't be entitled to anything. Cover your bases so to speak.

KAT

M

M. L. Carter

Thanks KAT. Yes, his days of support are numbered and the sad thing is he lives with his grandmother because he doesn't want to live with his mother and not because she can't afford it.

As for contact with him or his grandmother, he cut off contact with me four years ago thanks to his mother and I wouldn't consider speaking with his grandmother.

MLC

Grace_Adler

Kat,

I found one of the links. This is an excellent site. I had another really good one but I don't know where it is. :mad: Anyway you can also find it on the polisci one I listed, just go to NC General Assembly and go to the search engine and then put in child support and it will pull up a bunch of different statutes. If you go to http://www.dhhs.state.nc.us/dss/cse/cse_hm.htm then go to manual...that's where I got this from and it has alot of other helpful info. On the next link it says if child fails to make academic progress which to me means failing.

http://info.dhhs.state.nc.us/olm/manuals/dss/cse/man/CSEhtm-10.htm#P268_27189

Hope this helps.

kat1963

M.L., I want you to know that I hear you. Bio has tried to ship the teens up to her Moms for several years now...they always come back, toooo much to handle. No communication here , just what we hear thru our *insider* grapevine.

It appears that your obligation for support is almost over. CA: when child turns 18, or if child is in high school, then 19 or graduation from high school, whichever is first. I'm not sure in your state if you have file for termination or not. Here you do...or pay until they are in a nursing home and medicaid takes over. Try calling the child support office to see what needs to be done. It might just stop, I just don't know about CA. In addition, you may need to file earlier then need be....courts are generally 4 months behind in VA.

Grace, hoooohaaaa!! Going to follow those links Hon!! Thank you ever so much!!! OH and any experience you might have in it...think 16 is to young to emancipate? So what now, the 3 of them are going to sit around the house not working? ....probably....

KAT

Grace_Adler

LOL!:D Glad I could help. Haven't had any experience in that yet though. Kids are still too young. LOL..yeah I guess they are going to be sitting around the house twiddling their thumbs...hahaha!! Oh man.. I just had a thought..you know what they say about idle hands!! Yikes!!

Oh, I don't think 16 is too young to emancipate, I've heard of people doing it at 15..don't know about any younger though.;)

M

M. L. Carter

You guys are great! Thanks for the support and advice. I had one child already that I cut off at 18 without the requirement to file for (as the laws go in Calif) and her mother had something short of a hairball and couldn't do anything about it. Damn that made me feel good! Not for the kid mind you, but for all the crap their witch mother has put me through.

I love my kids but haven't seen either one in 4 to 6 years and honestly don't expect to again because of the way their mother tainted their minds against me. Makes it hard for a father to WANT to support them regardless.

Keep up the great advice, I'll definately always turn to this site for it when needed because of wonderful people like you.

MLC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">