• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support from minor teenage father.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustAPal00

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

My niece is pregnant and plans on keeping the child with the help of her parents. The father wants’ no part in the child's life. The father is 15. The mother is 13. Believe me I do not agree with the decision, but have no say in it. My question is about the child support she will be entitled to. Since the father is a minor will his parents be on the hook for any support payments? Since both kids are minors, will their parent’s income be what is used to calculate the amount of support? She was told that since he was a minor she would get nothing. I'm not sure who told her that but it doesn't sound right. Any help would be appreciated. I've been sorting through the States online legal resources and can't find the answers. Also, will it make a difference if she moves from NJ to PA to live with her father’s family, he is the one who is going to help with the child?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

My niece is pregnant and plans on keeping the child with the help of her parents. The father wants’ no part in the child's life. The father is 15. The mother is 13. Believe me I do not agree with the decision, but have no say in it. My question is about the child support she will be entitled to. Since the father is a minor will his parents be on the hook for any support payments? Since both kids are minors, will their parent’s income be what is used to calculate the amount of support? She was told that since he was a minor she would get nothing. I'm not sure who told her that but it doesn't sound right. Any help would be appreciated. I've been sorting through the States online legal resources and can't find the answers. Also, will it make a difference if she moves from NJ to PA to live with her father’s family, he is the one who is going to help with the child?
Before you get all caught up in support, paternity will have to be established first, and that cannot happen until the baby is born.

It will all come to fruition when either the new mommy or the "maybe" new daddy decide to take the matter to court. That will depend on many factors including where mom and baby are living when the baby is born.

Just, I sugges you just not worry about it.;)

JustAPal00

Before you get all caught up in support, paternity will have to be established first, and that cannot happen until the baby is born.

It will all come to fruition when either the new mommy or the "maybe" new daddy decide to take the matter to court. That will depend on many factors including where mom and baby are living when the baby is born.

Just, I sugges you just not worry about it.;)
I realize paternity will have to be established but I'm taking her at her word as to who the father is. But as far as your response goes, am I to understand that if she moves to PA then PA laws will be in effect?

Antigone*

I realize paternity will have to be established but I'm taking her at her word as to who the father is. But as far as your response goes, am I to understand that if she moves to PA then PA laws will be in effect?
It all depends on where mom and baby have established residency when the paternity, support & visitation motion is filed.

Baby could be born in New York, but if mom and baby move to California and mom is there six months, that would be the state of jurisdiction.

So, you see it really is up in the air until it happens.

JustAPal00

It all depends on where mom and baby have established residency when the paternity, support & visitation motion is filed.

Baby could be born in New York, but if mom and baby move to California and mom is there six months, that would be the state of jurisdiction.

So, you see it really is up in the air until it happens.
Look, I realize it's up in the air. I mean any number of things could happen between now and the expected birth. I'm just trying to gather some information that I couldn't find on the States web site. My only divorce was a fairly civil event with no fighting over the kids so support wasn't contested. We agreed so I didn't have to learn anything about it. I don't suspect that this will be the case this time and I want to have as much information as I can get to help as much as I can. She has and her dad have been fairly worried because they heard that since the father was a minor they wouldn't get support until he's 18. His parents are fairly well off. The first thing they did was pull him out of school and send him away to a private school. He had switched schools within a week of finding out.

Antigone*

Look, I realize it's up in the air. I mean any number of things could happen between now and the expected birth. I'm just trying to gather some information that I couldn't find on the States web site. My only divorce was a fairly civil event with no fighting over the kids so support wasn't contested. We agreed so I didn't have to learn anything about it. I don't suspect that this will be the case this time and I want to have as much information as I can get to help as much as I can. She has and her dad have been fairly worried because they heard that since the father was a minor they wouldn't get support until he's 18. His parents are fairly well off. The first thing they did was pull him out of school and send him away to a private school. He had switched schools within a week of finding out.
Just, we don't know what can happen until someone files something in a court. It all depends where. Just know that the little father will have to support his child when and if paternity is established. Little momma may or may not have to wait a few years, but that is a consequence of her actions. If the little momma's mom and dad will have to support their daughter and their grandchild for a time, then so be it. They can also request that little momma get a job and pay for her own child when she is legally able to do so.

If little momma has decided to keep her child, then it should be up to little momma to figure out how to help pay for her child as well.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The parents of the new baby are the ones responsible for the new baby.

CJane

It's also irrelevant that the parents sent kiddo to private school once they found out what was up. I would have put as much distance between the potential Mommy and potential Daddy as possible too.

JustAPal00

It's also irrelevant that the parents sent kiddo to private school once they found out what was up. I would have put as much distance between the potential Mommy and potential Daddy as possible too.
Me too! I have no problem with that. She has also been pulled from school and is moving back to PA to live with her dad. She was living with Mom in NJ. I was just pointing out that his parents have the means. So I take it from reading above that if minors have a child, there is no form of support until the non custodial parent reaches the age of 18. Is that correct?

Antigone*

Me too! I have no problem with that. She has also been pulled from school and is moving back to PA to live with her dad. She was living with Mom in NJ. I was just pointing out that his parents have the means. So I take it from reading above that if minors have a child, there is no form of support until the non custodial parent reaches the age of 18. Is that correct?
Didn't say that at all. I said "it depends."

LillianX

The parents of the new baby are the ones responsible for the new baby.
Not necessarily, if the parents of the child is a minor. There are some states which require the parents of both the custodial and non-custodial parents to pay child support in minor-mother cases, and most notably, the Federal Welfare Reform Act requires it in cases where the custodial parent is receiving welfare.

Antigone*

Not necessarily, if the parents of the child is a minor. There are some states which require the parents of both the custodial and non-custodial parents to pay child support in minor-mother cases, and most notably, the Federal Welfare Reform Act requires it in cases where the custodial parent is receiving welfare.
Hence, the "it depends" answer:D

CJane

No. Minors can be ordered to pay support. Sometimes, their parents can be ordered to provide that support until the minor is of age to hold a job.

Is no one pushing this girl to make a decision that doesn't involve dooming this baby to a life of poverty and struggle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">