• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support: he got a job; how much does he pay now?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

eddiepowers

What is the name of your state? az

they got divorced, he pays child support. to avoid paying he enrolled in school full time. now he works at cirkle k and she thinks he should pay more (he currently pays 400 a month for 3 kids). he was also supposed to provide for their insurance, but doesn't do that either. What should she do?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
What's the $400/mo based on (income-wise)? How much less is that than what he's making at Circle K? It may or may not make sense to try for a modification. If he's not following the order (i.e. by providing the insurance), she can file to have him found in contempt.

E

eddiepowers

the 400 in support the father pays now was calculated by the judge based on his salary of 1700 at that time. 1000 of that is money from his parents, and 700 comes from the military. now he works and will be making more money so he should have to pay some more for support, no?

E

eddiepowers

so perhaps she should request in writing his income statement? Also, in the divorce papers it says that the two are to split the payments incurred in the marriage. Now he's telling her that he went ahead and paid the full amount so she can just pay him. I thought that was the stupidest hustle in the world, but then again, it beats standing on the corner with a cardboard sign huh...

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Depends on how his current income matches up to what the CS was based on.

As for the bills, it's actually very smart to do as he did. All too often, when bills are to be split during a divorce, one party or the other defaults on their portion. The creditors doesn't care what the order says - they just want their money. By one party paying the entire debt off and then being reimbursed, they ensure that their credit isn't affected. Not a hustle at all.

Grace_Adler

He's probably making minimum wage. $6 an hour at the most unless he's in a manager position but they don't make much either and I'm pretty sure they don't provide insurance coverage -- most don't. If the order says he is to provide it only through his employer then he is not in contempt.

I just went to the AZ child support calculator, assumed he is grossing $1200 a month right now, I put 0 in for mom's income since I don't know what it is, daycare, insurance premium and put all the children under age 12 because I didn't know the ages. According to all that, he should pay $426 a month (this is not the absolute, just a scenario) and for 3 kids with that kind of income, it is pretty standard so I don't see an increase happening. Now, if I put in $1000 a month for mom's income and raise visitation days, the amount of child support decreases. So, she better be careful or they might end up decreasing it instead of increasing it.

E

eddiepowers

grace: he had 1700 coming in without the job. now he has the job as well as the 1700. so if it is 6 bucks an hour @ say 30 hours, that's 500-700 more a month. one kid is 17, the others are 13 and 9. mom has no income other than the child support.

also, please tell me where you obtained the AZ child Support Calculator. Thanks.

E

eddiepowers

and the reason i think he's trying to hustle somebody is because he doesn't want to show written documentation for the items he has claimed to have paid off. but it would be a good idea to do it that way though.

Grace_Adler

It's on the website I gave you above. childsupportguidelines.com

Just make sure he is still recieving that other income.

If she goes for a modification, she can request he produce and show records. I don't know what the summons there would say but they have one here that says order to produce and show records so they probably have one similar to that in AZ too.

nextwife

Yeah, especially when the kids are all in school all day. There is not a single profession today (except maybe NFL Linebacker or Quarterback) that is not open to woman.

E

eddiepowers

well, we're working on her job too. all kinds of issues in the mix and I am just trying to help her sort them all out. She is actively looking for a job though. we'll see. thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">