• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support &injury claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

saeed213

What is the name of your state?Illinois .I m living separately from my wife and 2 kids.child support not ordered yet but I process .I already giving money to my wife by check every month. I m have know personal injury claim check. My question is if I deposit in my account can my wife take that monry.or not

mjpayne

What is the name of your state?Illinois .I m living separately from my wife and 2 kids.child support not ordered yet but I process .I already giving money to my wife by check every month. I m have know personal injury claim check. My question is if I deposit in my account can my wife take that monry.or not
If it's a joint account, yes. If not, no. If you get a judgment against you or owe child support, then technically anything is possible. They could garnish your wages, freeze your bank account, etc...

quincy

If the money compensates you for injuries you suffered in an accident, it is your money alone unless/until you commingle the funds in a joint account with your wife. To best protect the injury award from access by your wife, you should have a separate account in your name only.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">