• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? Michigan

In April 2001 my ex requested modification of child support claiming he lost his job due to injuries sustained in an automobile accident and he could not perform construction type work any longer. My ex claimed that he had tried to find work however he had no luck.
Judge ordered proof that my ex could not work, and proof my ex filed for disability,etc. Well we came back to court and my ex had no proof so my ex's motion was denied for failure to meet the burden of proof.

To top it all off, we found out during the court hearing that my ex was doing homecare taking care of his sister in law which was his wife's job prior to my ex's supposed accident. My ex's wife was now working at the post office. So it looks like my ex gave up his higher paying job for a lower paying job so his wife could take a higher paying job and with the lower income he could lower his child support.

Then in January 2002 my ex requests review for child support
which was dismissed.

After we left the review, my ex wrote a written objection claiming that I was not reporting all my income and he felt that the review should not have been dismissed and he deserved to have his support based on his income. The court then scheduled the hearing with the judge and my ex cancelled the hearing.

Any suggestions on how I can address the referee or judge if I have to object this matter. Now if we have to go back in front of the judge for an objection, a different judge will be hearing the motion as the judge we have had in the past, passed away. I don't believe that a decrease in support is appropriate in this matter.

Thank you so much for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential