• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support modification and grand parents visitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

svnj65

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NJ
the father of my 4 month old son was ordered in July to pay child support of 137 a week, after reveiwing his own earnings, he has filed for a modification of 6 dollars a week, (the man makes 50 K year and lives with his parents,) so obviously he is just doing this to be vindictive, my obligation was imputed on a job I no longer have and am a student now.
He wants nothing to do with the child or me. He even went as far as for the judge to include in his order that I could only contact him through his attorney.
The 2 questions I have are, is this worth arguing over the 6 dollars? I actually really do need the money, but remember the judge asking us not to seek modifiacation unless there was a substancial difference. But I also know that this man had taught classes at a local college and in fact probably made more money that he claims .

The second question, is there anyway for me to be able to notify or contact his family and let them know that this child exists, I think that he never mentioned any of this to his family. I would really like my childs grandparents to have the option of at least meeting with me, would the order of me not contacting the father have any bearing on his parents?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
In all honesty? If $6/week is going to break you, then you seriously need to consider putting school on hold and going to work.

svnj65

you are right, why spend 4 months in school to get a higher paying job, when I can just take a measly job now and get more support in the long run.
It wasn't about the money, its the principle!

LdiJ

Since he lives with his parents it would be very difficult for you to contact them without potentially contacting him. Let that be.

svnj65

I have one more question, in a letter I received in regard to the motion the defendant filed, it says the undersigned(his attorney?) shall rely upon the certification of the defendant, and waives oral argument unless opposition id filed, does that mean that they are not going to have to go to court on the scheduled hearing date? I did file opposition , but was only to keep the order as is with no modification.

VeronicaGia

svnj65 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NJ
the father of my 4 month old son was ordered in July to pay child support of 137 a week, after reveiwing his own earnings, he has filed for a modification of 6 dollars a week, (the man makes 50 K year and lives with his parents,) so obviously he is just doing this to be vindictive, my obligation was imputed on a job I no longer have and am a student now.
He wants nothing to do with the child or me. He even went as far as for the judge to include in his order that I could only contact him through his attorney.
The 2 questions I have are, is this worth arguing over the 6 dollars? I actually really do need the money, but remember the judge asking us not to seek modifiacation unless there was a substancial difference. But I also know that this man had taught classes at a local college and in fact probably made more money that he claims .

The second question, is there anyway for me to be able to notify or contact his family and let them know that this child exists, I think that he never mentioned any of this to his family. I would really like my childs grandparents to have the option of at least meeting with me, would the order of me not contacting the father have any bearing on his parents?
Your income should be imputed. You are also legally financially responsible for the support of the child. Would it be ok if he quit his job, decided to go to school and not help support the child?

svnj65

I not asking him for more money, I am ok with support imputed on what I made employed. I do have income that I support my children with. My obligation is only 30 % since he has no parenting time, I would be ok no support if there was parenting time on his behalf. I would not be asking him to support more than needed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">