• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support not Filed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TxCurious

What is the name of your state? TEXAS

I have a 16 yr old who knows who his father is after asking me and I told him. I've never filed for child support and he isn't even on my son's birth certificate. Hes never filed either and doesnt have a relationship with my son. I receive Medicaid for my son and I've never listed the father, I've always just said that I don't know who the father is. Well recently I've had a falling out with my son and he ran to my mother's house who I don't have a good relationship with. She threatened to call the Medicaid office and tell them that I do know my son's father and provide them with all of his info so that the state can file for child support themselves. Is this possible? She's also said she'll just call the Attorney Generals office or have MY SON call. What are the chances that they would listen to any of this and do anything about it?

LdiJ

I have a 16 yr old who knows who his father is after asking me and I told him. I've never filed for child support and he isn't even on my son's birth certificate. Hes never filed either and doesnt have a relationship with my son. I receive Medicaid for my son and I've never listed the father, I've always just said that I don't know who the father is. Well recently I've had a falling out with my son and he ran to my mother's house who I don't have a good relationship with. She threatened to call the Medicaid office and tell them that I do know my son's father and provide them with all of his info so that the state can file for child support themselves. Is this possible? She's also said she'll just call the Attorney Generals office or have MY SON call. What are the chances that they would listen to any of this and do anything about it?
Did you go get your son and bring him home? The state cannot file for child support themselves but they can force you to do so. Whether or not they would at this point, or whether they would listen at all to third parties is unknown. You do however, need to go get your son and bring him home, no matter what your mother threatens.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

So you are a big fat liar. You know who the father is but you have committed fraud to avoid naming him. They would listen to me if I called considering you have admitted to a crime.

TxCurious

WRONG. The state certainly can open a child support case in order to recoup what they have paid out based upon this woman's fraudulent acts.

But would they do so just from hearsay? Considering the father is not on the birth certificate?

TxCurious

So you are a big fat liar. You know who the father is but you have committed fraud to avoid naming him. They would listen to me if I called considering you have admitted to a crime.
I've avoided filing because I'm afraid of the retaliation on his father's part.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I've avoided filing because I'm afraid of the retaliation on his father's part.
That doesn't give you a legal right to LIE on government forms/applications/documents. You committed a crime. And you have admitted it. Excuses do not matter.

LdiJ

WRONG. The state certainly can open a child support case in order to recoup what they have paid out based upon this woman's fraudulent acts.
No, they cannot. They can force the OP to file for support or face consequences (possibly serious ones) for not cooperating.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Here's the thing... It's okay to not file for support, ignore the fact that your child has another parent, etc. I may not agree with it, but it is okay. Until you ask the government to provide services for that child and lie about the fact that there IS another parent and that you know who it is. That's when it stops being okay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">