• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support payments after partial custody is establised

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

greensunezra

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

Does anyone know if a father, after receiving partial custody of his son, still has to pay child support?

Bre's_mom

My hubby has joint custody(phsical) and we dont pay child support anymore. We would have had it court ordered to not pay, but since the bio mom has a history of being on welfare, the procecuting attorney would'nt agree to it! So were taking the bio moms word that she wont open a case when she has the child.

A

annefan1000

In Pennsylvania, if parents share joint physical custody (extremely rare in Pa), then there would be no child support paid or received by either party. Some circumstances, though, warrant the payment of child support, despite sharing joint physical custody, but then, this would only apply if one of the parties staked a legitimate claim to be Donald Trump.

There is an exception to the support obligation if the non custodial parent spends a majority of OVERNIGHT visits with the child. In this scenario, a modification of the child support would be allowed. Generally, the child would have to spend 4 or more overnights in a consecutive week in order for the modification to be considered.

When you say "partial custody", in the State of Pennsylvania, that translates into "visitation" in most domestic relations. If this is a case where the child spends more time with you than with the custodial parent, you may have the option of modifying the support order, but again, this only applies if the child is spending overnight visits with you. Consult with your county domestic relations office to give you further details.

K

KCMR

Yes

I live in Pa.
My ex and I both have equal custody. (50/50) He was still paying day care costs. (half)
There was a modification of the support order when the judge ruled 50/50 custody.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">