• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support percentages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

curtisfamily

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?NY

It says in my agreement that the non-custodial has to pay 79% of all extra-curricular things, including health insurance,dental, day care,educational etc...and that I have to pay 21%. So Im willing to pay that 21% of the kids' school clothes and let them go to dads house as long as he pays his 79%. Im not paying 100% of the school clothes cost for the kids to take this stuff over to dads, to never see it again. Doesnt that make sense? I mean your telling me I have to pay for everything for 4 children until they are 18 and he doesnt have to pay for one thing just because he gives me support, even tho they live with him 50% of the time. How convenient for him...

haiku

curtisfamily said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?NY

It says in my agreement that the non-custodial has to pay 79% of all extra-curricular things, including health insurance,dental, day care,educational etc...and that I have to pay 21%. So Im willing to pay that 21% of the kids' school clothes and let them go to dads house as long as he pays his 79%. Im not paying 100% of the school clothes cost for the kids to take this stuff over to dads, to never see it again. Doesnt that make sense? I mean your telling me I have to pay for everything for 4 children until they are 18 and he doesnt have to pay for one thing just because he gives me support, even tho they live with him 50% of the time. How convenient for him...
Child support is supposed to cover all the basic needs of the child. this includes housing, food, and CLOTHING.

the "extra's" under your percentage only include, extra curriculars, medical, daycare, educational costs. it does NOT address clothing. Therefore, your ex is NOT responsible for 79% of thier clothing costs.

both of you can dress your children in any way you desire, from designer or paper bags, but quite frankly, you receive child support to help do so, he does not. Also don't forget, by living with him 50% of the time with NO help from you, that eases YOUR burden also. (think lower food and utility bills for one)

Get over it!

He does pay by giving you child support. Why don't you take a real close look at what you are spending that money on that you get from him. It might be easier if you put it into a seperate account and total up the exact cost for the children (ie divide the mortage or rent by 5 and same with the household bills) then also to the seperate account add your 21% and you will find that you have more money for the children then you thought. Just food for thought.

nextwife

Except that it is NOT the children ALONE that are utilizing housing, utilities, etc. They only add a PROPORTIONATE increase to the posters OWN housing costs. As grown ups, we pay and provide our own housing, whether we have kids or not.

Example: I bought my house BEFORE I even had a spouse or daughter. My mortgage, property taxes, sewer/water charges, heat, etc. Adding one child didn't change any of those costs significantly. If I added four, I'd need a somewhat larger place, but it would NOT be correct to figure that each child uses 25% of the housing/utilities budget. They'd only add somewhat more to the housing I must provide myself.

Last edited:

haiku

nextwife said:
Except that it is NOT the children ALONE that are utilizing housing, utilities, etc. They only add a PROPORTIONATE increase to the posters OWN housing costs. As grown ups, we pay and provide our own housing, whether we have kids or not.

Example: I bought my house BEFORE I even had a spouse or daughter. My mortgage, property taxes, sewer/water charges, heat, etc. Adding one child didn't change any of those costs significantly. If I added four, I'd need a somewhat larger place, but it would NOT be correct to figure that each child uses 25% of the housing/utilities budget. They'd only add somewhat more to the housing I must provide myself.
Correct, this is also why the largest portion of the child support percentage is based on one child, no matter how many kids there actually are, each subsequent child only adds roughly 2% to the order. the order is not split evenly between children.

nextwife

haiku said:
Correct, this is also why the largest portion of the child support percentage is based on one child, no matter how many kids there actually are, each subsequent child only adds roughly 2% to the order. the order is not split evenly between children.
Which is also why a three bedroom house is NOT THREE times the cost of a one bedroom on the same block (and yes, we actually have a 1 BR house down the street). That is because the portion that is the LAND cost is the same whether one person or ten live there. Also, there is only ONE kitchen, one living room, one dining room, etc, even if one adds bedrooms. ONe sewer.water line brought in, one gas line from the street. One fridge, one stove, one driveway, one kitchen sink needed, whether the resident is one single person or a family of 5. So, increasing the size of a home or apartment unit only adds a proportionate increase for some additional square footage and maybe an extra bath or so, but many other construction costs remain unchanged even if upsized.

CJane

Ummm, I share 50/50 custody with my ex. There is no child support currently ordered. We split uncovered medical costs 50/50 per the court order. Nothing else is split AT ALL. He makes roughly 2x what I make - maybe a little more than that. Last year, I made 1/4 (!!!!!) what he made.

I provide ALL clothing that the kids might need while they're with me, I provide them with a home, food, etc. All those things that parents are SUPPOSED to provide. He does the same. Yeah, occasionally I send the kids to his house in nicer clothes than they come home from his house in, and sometimes the reverse is true. It's called SHARED PARENTING.

Your job is to provide for your kids, and you're lucky enough to get assistance from the ex to do so. If you want to be nit picky about it, don't send clothes with the kids and force him to purchase some to have at his house. But if I were you, I'd think more about the kids and less about myself and make sure that they have their needs met no matter what.

mom22boyz

"I mean your telling me I have to pay for everything for 4 children until they are
18 and he doesnt have to pay for one thing just because he gives me support, even tho they live with him 50% of the time."

How can you for one second claim to pay for EVERYTHING, when Ex pays C/S, 100% of their expenses for 50% of the time and an additional 79% of a multitude of extras?

He is the one who should be on this board complaining that his greedy Ex is trying to take him to the cleaners. Sheesh. Go buy your kids some freaking clothes already and realize you have it GOOD.

curtisfamily

wow, talk about not being supportive

How can you people judge so harshly when you dont even know the whole story, not one of you has been supportive to my situation. I was a (sahm)for 13 years while he went out and got a really good paying job, now he makes 60 grand a year while I make 13g,because in the real world my mommy skills dont take me very far. So I get punished, because I have a hard enough time making ends meet and keeping a roof over our heads even with the child support I do get. I do everything for my children, my needs get left in the dust but my 4 childrens needs are always met whether I have the funds or not. When my ex moved out I supplied him with half of all their clothes for summer, winter, down to socks and underwear, now that they have outgrown that, Im suppose to keep supplying clothes for his household and for my own until they are 18,how unbelievable is that/ Even with the support, I can afford to clothe them for my house,but not for both houses, and I would never see any of the stuff ever again if it went over there. My kids are clean, healthy, happy,well-fed, and loved at my house, Im hoping it is the same over at his house. I thought that was what being a parent was all about. Apparently he doesnt know that because how could you drill into your little children's heads from the age of 5 on, that if you need anything whatsoever (while they are at his house)ask your mother I pay her child support, that is the only sentence my children know how to say, whether they need money for roller-skating, dances, field trips, or even new underwear at the times they are at his house, that is his response for everything and for what I buy them for at my house, he tells his children they should thank him for that stuff cause he gave mommy the child support money, how funny is that! he is doing more harm than good to them and I never badmouth him ever, I tell them when they go back to his house to tell him if he has anything to say about that kinda stuff that he should talk to me and not go through them but it hasnt happened yet, so before you judge make sure you get the whole story.

WE all make choices.

We all make choices in this world and we have to live with the choices we make. Stop being a victim and start taking control over your life. If you feel like you "Mommy skills" are not getting you the job you want then go back to school. Oh and before you start on the "I don't have time or I don't have the money." I know of thre very close friends who are all single parents (no help from dad at all) that put themself through nursing school. There at tons of grants out there for single mothers. A grant is FREE MONEY! You can get money to pay the rent and extra to live on plus pay for all your school expense. You just have to apply. Also if you can't handle having the children full time then why don't you let him have half physical custody? My husband's Ex complains about the same thing you do however the second he brings up that he would be glad to have 50%/50% custody she magically stops complaining. I truely believe that she knows if she agreed to that she would not get as much in child support. However, what she doesn't think of is if she agreed to that she would not spend as much on the children and would have time to go to school. So, it may seem like I am not support you but on the flip side being the second wife I see how the first wife uses the children as a way to get money from the father and nickle and dimes him to death. So, my advice to you is be independent and go to school get a better job and stop being to dependent on a man. What ever happen to women being strong and not needing a man? OH and on a positive note good for you by not bad mouthing you Ex to yuor children. But really lokk into 50%/50% you know they are his children too and he may like to have them more often then he currently does.

LdiJ

Ok guys...alot of this is ending up in the realm of personal opinion.

They have a 50/50 schedule. Dad has been ordered to pay child support. Since he has, that indicates that his income is higher enough than mom's that support was justified.

However, in a 50/50 situation each parent is supposed to 100% provide for the child while the child is in their home. They only split costs that spill over to both homes. Like the things outlined in their agreement.

Therefore, dad is supposed to be providing clothing and anything else the kids need at his home.....and mom should be doing the same.

Only the kids should be traveling back and forth...not their "stuff".

haiku

LdiJ said:
Ok guys...alot of this is ending up in the realm of personal opinion.

They have a 50/50 schedule. Dad has been ordered to pay child support. Since he has, that indicates that his income is higher enough than mom's that support was justified.

However, in a 50/50 situation each parent is supposed to 100% provide for the child while the child is in their home. They only split costs that spill over to both homes. Like the things outlined in their agreement.

Therefore, dad is supposed to be providing clothing and anything else the kids need at his home.....and mom should be doing the same.

Only the kids should be traveling back and forth...not their "stuff".
Though its a 50/50 physical, I don't think we can call this a FINACIAL 50/50 situation.

Dad pays 79% to moms 21% of extra's plus child support. and the original question is 'mom wanting to know if she is right in demanding that dad buy 79% of thier back to school clothes."

Isn't a parent within thier rights not to buy thier kids ANY back to school clothes? I know I don't. I buy as needed through out the year, for example. ANd I fdon't know what percentage we could call that......

curtisfamily

By the way Im not whining and trying to nickel and dime my ex, as I stated before, yes we do have 50/50. I dont ask him for a single penny over the child support amount. As a matter of fact I am going back to school I start this week, that has nothing to do with the situation. And for the school clothes thing, Im not asking him to buy school clothes, I just want him to support his children in the same way I am. I want him to buy clothes for his children when they are at his house as needed as they grow out of the old stuff, but he doesnt, the kids sneak underwear and socks from my house to take over there because he wont cough up 5 bucks to buy his children a package of underwear, he tells them "go ask your mom, I pay her support" thats what Im complaining about. Whether he would have them 50% or not at all, I make sure my children are well taken care of and they know who to come to when they need anything,but there are times when I am so completely broke that I dont have a pot to piss in and my kids come back from their dads and say I need money for ie book covers and dad said to ask you. and it is so frustrating to know that he wont lift a finger to help his children out at all, I can guarantee he wouldnt want his children full time even if it meant not giving me support any more, this is just a power battle with him. But yes I agree if he has them 50% of the time he should buy them stuff for his house, I dont know if this is the law but it would certainly be nice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">