• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support /tax law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? Georgia i have a tax question, i was ordered to pay back support which I did but the state of ohio has not recognized my support has been payed. I was having my taxes garnished till back support was secured, and it has been but I was served with new notice to collect again. I called georgia and they said someone forgot to key me out of system. so for 5 yrs i have not filed income taxes, for which i am due a return on each year. how can i find out if ohio has recieved the stop collecting notice or if my taxes will be taken again if i file now?

Whyte Noise

Senior Member
You'll have to call Ohio Child Support Enforcement and the IRS to see if they have taken you out of the system, and if your return will be intercepted.


Senior Member
Any time you deal with child support collections (herein known as c/s/e) you do so IN WRITTING. Do NOT call them on the phone. You need to leave a solid paper trail. Therefore, you immediately send them a certified letter, return receipt requested stating the phone conversation, asking for a letter of confirmation and MOST importantly, an AUDIT of your account. Once you receive and review this information, hope that is correct and is showing a zero balance, you can enclose a copy w/your tax returns. Next, you check your credit history w/the big three, you want to make sure that has been corrected also. If not, you cert mail c/s/e again, give them 10 days to respond. C/S/E needs a ton of handholding. You are also advised to look up the laws of your state concerning what your rights are regarding them. In VA, you can ask the court to fine them if they do not correct their records within a certain period of time. Once you start quoting your rights, they get on the ball. Now before I get bashed I will add this quote "not all case workers" okay....sheezzz.
Now, let's talk taxes. You've pretty much blown 2 years worth of refunds. You are going to have to file for 5, (you have to send them seperately) but after 3 years you forfeit your refund, in addition, you can be penalized, I'm not sure it it's up to, or actually 100 per year that you didn't file the returns. You are free to look up this information on the IRS website. It says so right there, I just went thru this crapoloa with my husband and his taxes....so maybe I saved you a trip...but do your research anyway. I'm just some unknown person on the internet. And anyway, it could slip by them, who knows. Just be prepared if the checks don't start rolling in like you thought they would.
Good luck! And do STAY OFF THE PHONE!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential