• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support Termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Soup101

Child Support Termination

What is the name of your state? Alabama

As my children reach the age of majority being their 19th birthday by Alabama law. Should I wait until after their 19th birthday to file the cease of Child Support Order paperwork?

My ex would have to file for extension prior to their 19th birthday if so desired to request an extension but if not filed prior to their 19th birthday then the request for extension cant be filed.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
How would we possibly know. You have told us NOTHING.
I disagree. The OP wants to know whether it's proper to file for the CS order to be terminated prior to the child's 19th birthday or if she should wait until after the birthday has passed.

PayrollHRGuy

Because the way the forum posts the Subject Line. I don't generally read it. That and the fact that way too many of them simply say "Help!"

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I think the most important question is whether or not filing prior to the child's birthday can cause problems. My gut says no, but I may be wrong. The OP may be wise to ask this question of an attorney familiar with his/her state's laws.

Soup101

Yep, so let's ask some questions of the OP.

Is it safe to assume that you want to end CS as soon as you possibly can?
Yes. I would rather give the funds to my children than to my ex who does not use the money on the kids. I am currently paying for my children’s college and the youngest will be 19 soon.

LdiJ

Yes. I would rather give the funds to my children than to my ex who does not use the money on the kids. I am currently paying for my children’s college and the youngest will be 19 soon.
Then you should probably start the paperwork a few months before the child's birthday, so that you can get an order for it to cease on their 19th birthday, on or around their 19th birthday. If you wait until after they turn 19 to file, then you will pay several months of support before you can get an order from the judge.

PayrollHRGuy

I can't think of any problem that would develop from starting a couple of months prior to the child's 19th birthday. I would,when filing the termination request to specify the date of the child's birthday as the day you would terminate. Since you do seem concerned about the mother requesting an extension you might want to have a quick sit down with a lawyer that is familiar with the specific court in question and get a feel for the time such requests take to make it in front of the judge.

HRZ

ON what grounds do you think an extension of child support might be ordered /justified. ?

You are not required to pay for college in AL....and aid under FAFSA logic is determined by who is the custodial parent .

I'm a fan of higher education and helping ones kids....but I like some of the features of 529 plans too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">