• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support use

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

Wiggy Ex

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I have a question about the usage of child support.

My Fiance's ex called the house 1/31 and left a message wanting her child support early because in her words "I'm going shopping tomorrow and I want my dam* money!!!" We had the child for the weekend, not her. The child support is due on the 1st and 15th of every month. My Fiance has never not paid her the child support, but in the past he has always paid her when he got his paycheck on Wednesdays, and if it was a couple of days after the 1st or the 15th, that was fine, until I came in the picture. Now, she always asks for it early or if the date falls on the weekend that we have the child, she wants to come pick up the check.
We are about to go to court to get custody of the child and my question is how will she look to the judge if we have that message taped?

But this is what she wanted the money for: She called my Fiance at work the following Monday fussing and saying that the child doesn't like school (she's loopy) and come to find out, she wanted the child support early because she went and got a tatoo, that is what she went shopping for. To me, that just goes to show what she spends that money on, and it's not the basic necessities. But for to just come out and say that -- and if we document all it, will that help us in court???

M

megmoncada

i don't know if it will help you but it can't hurt you so use everything that you got.

S

sunfun

Honestly, if I were you I would pay the support ON the day it's due every time. If you need to go to court to have the days changed, do that. But pay that sucker on time no matter when the paycheck comes in. Then she has no reason to wonder when the support will come.

L

Lil Miss Smarty Panties

As long as the child is being fed, clothed, housed, etc..., the courts are not going to care what you say she spends child support on.

G

Grandma B

Wiggy Ex said:

We are about to go to court to get custody of the child and my question is how will she look to the judge if we have that message taped?
Two comments:

1. "We" are not about to go to court. "You" will never have custody of the child.

2. No one is going to court to "get custody" of the child. Your fiance is petitioning the court for custody, but without compelling evidence that the child is being neglected or abused, there is little likelihood there will be a change made.

usmcfamily

The legal definition of what child support is for is that it is a re-imbursement to the custodial parent for the portion of expenses they bear in raising the child that the NCP is found to be responsible for. Meaning that theoretically the CP is spending their money on supporting the child and the NCP's payment pays back a portion of that money to the CP -- the CP is then legally allowed to do anything they want with the money. If that means she is going shopping so be it -- btw you don't say WHAT she was shopping for -- perhaps something for the home (which is part of the expense of the child rearing) or the child and even it it was for her that is perfectly legally acceptable.
Furthermore, I think it is important to remember that the expenses of caring for the child go far beyond basic food and clothing -- rent, car payments, insurance for the car, utility bills, etc are all things that when you think about it are part of the expense of raising the child......so to expect a CP to spend that amount of money ONLY on things that are directly 100% for the child is unreasonable.

usmcfamily

USMC FAMILY..... I love you!! I couldn't agree with you more!! My ex asked me once for a detailed list of exactly what I spent the child support money on. Soooo, I sent the ex a list of stuff that included: Mortgage, electricity, heat, water, garbage, car payment, car insurance, toilet paper, shampoo, conditioner, toothbrushes, etc...... The ex never asked again. It is so rediculous that many people forget these expenses are part of raising a child.

W

Wiggy Ex

I know what the expenses are in raising a child, if it wasn't listed in the 1st post, we have all of those expenses and more for this child. He is with us 50% of the time and he sees us more than he sees his own mother. We are responsible for all medical expenses, insurance, all college expenses, anything financially we are responsible for it on top of the child support we have to pay. So I know all about what expenses come into play. I was just curious if it would make her look bad that she left that message on tape saying "I'm going shopping tomorrow and I want my damn money!!!" - now she was asking for it early anyways.

W

Wiggy Ex

not to mention the fact that we have to buy the child clothes for our house because the bit** won't send any with him for the weekends and hasn't since he started pre k. This woman uses this child day in and day out - always has, and always will. Now I know there are plenty of good single mothers out there, I was raised by one. But this one doesn't care how bad she hurts her child as long as she can try to hurt his Daddy in the process. I'm sorry if it seems that I have gotton a little carried away, but I have been in this little boys life for over 2 years and I love him and the things this woman has done to her own child I couldn't imagine doing that to him and he is not even my flesh and blood.

C

CRYROSE1

I have my ex buy clothes for his home for our child and I buy her clothes for my home.
my boyfriend buys clothes for his kids at our home. it makes life for the kids easier, they dont have to pack a bag everytime the come to see you, they just come.
I guess I don't see my self as a B**CH becasue of that , no it is not right for her to ask for the money early., just let her keep asking dont meen you have to give it to her early.

usmcfamily

I never said that I thought it was okay for her to demand the money a day early -- it isn't........but if you want to complain about her asking for it early I guess she should complain about all the time that it was paid a day or two late - by your own admission. I guess what I am trying to say is that although I disagree with the way she went about it I think that things have to go BOTH ways -- there was no complaint from the father when it was a day or two in HIS favor, now was there?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">