• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support, Visitaion Change of Venue HELP!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

Q: Our case resides in Moffatt County, (Craig, Colorado). We divorced before my son was born and in the decree, it states that I have visitation every other weekend at her house, Supervised upon her permission.

My problem is that I live in East Central Oklahoma and she has moved to Missoula Montana. I have not missed any of the CS Payments since he was born, but I dont get to visit him at all. She refuses to let me see him at any time, unless I drive to Montana for a 1 day visit. That wont work.

Can I change Venue to Oklahoma or would it go further into Montana?

Or can I simply Modify the Decree to allow standard visitation; ie: Summer months and at least a rotating Holiday? Would it be forced to Cahnge Venue because she live in MT?

I speak to my son 3-4 times a week and even he desires to come down here and visit. He is just turning 12 years old. I dont know what the legal age is for him to decide where he wants to live. Back in my day i was 13 and decided to live with my father.

My door will always be open to him at anytime, and he has a whole other Family that he has never met. At $400 per month Child support, I at least want visitation...

Any suggestions?


Under the Radar Member
So when did you last have actual face time with the kid?

And children in either of those states do not get to choose where they live. Period.


Senior Member
You cannot change jurisdiction to OK. More than likely it would be change to Montana since that is where the child resides.

You aren't going to get custody either...even if your son WANTS to live with you. You haven't made enough of an effort to be part of his life. You really should have gone back to court years ago to get visitation modified.

Answer Stealth's question about how long its been since you have had a face to face with the child....but really we need to know how much time you have spent with the child over the last 5 or so years.


Junior Member
As far as actual visitation, the last time "SHE LET" me see him was August 1997... but I speak to him several times a week.... Unless you can count Video / Internet webcams... That is almost daily untill she gets home from work. Then he has to disconnect.

The last Attourney I hired ($1500 retainer) ended up going to the State Prison for hot Check Fraud and was disbanded from the Bar. Getting a Lawer is almost financially impossible right now, (due to a separate case with someone else), has been that way for years. I dont quilify for legal aid due to being out of state (so I am told repeatedly), and my Lawer in Oklahoma is'nt qualified to work in Colorado.

My son Wishes to come down here to visit, but the Decree and His mother is the problem...
Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential