• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Support w/Custody 50% of time

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? Texas

My husband and I have our step-son 50% of the time. My question is how is child support calculated for this situation. We pay almost as much in child support to her as I get from my ex for my two daughters who he sees only every other week-end.
Also, if my husbands salary increased drastically since we divorced, how easy is it to get a modification of the amount and what would I need to do to do this.

Thanks so much!


Junior Member
thanks for your response but that formula is for standard possesion (every other week-end etc.) We have him one week off and one week on.


Senior Member
have you tried calling your local child support office and asking them what formula they use with 50/50 placement?


Junior Member
How long has the arrangement been that you have your ss 50% of the time? Is the visitation court ordered or is it an arrangement that the mother and father have just "done". If there isn't a court order reflecting the time he is actually with his father, I would suggest that you start documenting and/or get the custody order modified to reflect what is actually going on. Looking at the TX guidelines, it suggests that the court can deviate from the guideline amount and I would think having the child 50% of the time would probably qualify for the deviation. The reason I suggest that you get the custody order modified, if it isn't already reflective of the arrangement, is that the mother could feasibly stop allowing the father the extra time and especially if she feels that it could affect the child support. Also, you don't want to appear that you only want the child to reduce the child support obligation either.

In TX, the standard support for one child is calculated at 20% of the obligor's net income. Unfortunately, it doesn't matter what percentage of time Jr. resides in Dad's home. 5% or 50%...will not change the amount of support ordered.

Similarly, it doesn't matter how large (or small) of an income Mom may have...support in TX is set at 20% of the obligor's income.

I'm sure that you'll agree that if he has to pay 20% regardless, it's still nice to be able to be involved (50%) as much as possible.

If there has been a substantial increase in your ex's income (20%+) or it has been longer than 3 years since the last support order, you can file with the TX AG's office for a support review. It takes a little time, but it's free. Here's their website. Good luck.


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential