• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? Illinois/Wisconsin
When my son was born we lived in Illinois. Now we live in Wisconsin. His father and I were never married. His father never really wanted to participate in my son's life, except when it was convenient for him. I mean he wanted to see him, then didn't see him until he was 9 mos. old, for 2-3 months, then not again until he was 17 mos. old and then only because I let him know that he was in the hospital and very sick. (At the time we did not know what was wrong with him until his third admission and then he was diagnosed with severe asthma.)
Now all of a sudden there was an interest from the father again. His girlfriend at the time prompted most of the interest. He now wanted regular scheduled visitation in his own home. Now at 18 mos. old this kid dosen't even know who this guy is. The trauma of his asthma attacks and hospital stays are now going to be coupled with going with someone this baby has never spent any time with, that he remembers...I don't think so! Visitation can be at my house until there is a relationship. Well needless to say...enter the attorneys!
He wants his visitation rights, so I go for child support, which 'til now has never even been offered, or asked for. After a very long and drawn out court process, the judge grants the visitation he is asking for in spite of the circumstances, (I showed up in court without my attorney because she was involved in a trial case). There is only a temporary order set for support. Health insurance is an issue now because of the asthma and the impending medical bills. The father changes attorneys two times and refuses to comply with disclosure. Attorneys's fees build up and I can't afford them anymore. Visitation lasts for another few months and then ends for three, yes three years! No support is being paid during any of this time, and he owns his own, very successful business which he has now owned for almost 20 years. Life goes on.
He has seen his son from the age of five for about a year on and off and then not again for five more years. Sees him for a few months then not again for a few years. And now has not seen him for at least a year again.
I have never refused him visitation. About 3 years ago, he started paying me $150.00 per month (which by Illinois standards of support calculation of 20% of net income means he is making $9,000.00 per year...right!)
My son is now 17 years old. He has no interest in his father whatsoever.
My questions are 1)is moving over the border to Wisconsin a problem for me now(15 min. from where we lived before, but still another state)?, 2)is it possible to collect back child support for my son? (I'm thinking of college, car, future, etc.), 3)Is the fact that there was only ever a temporary order a problem now?, 4)where do I start?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential