• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

ellaine

What is the name of your state? TX
My son just came home from a visit with my ex and wants to go live with him for the year. I agreed but my ex isn't so sure even though he is trying to take custody (doesn't make any sense). He is currently paying me child support and owes $9400 in back child support. What will happen if my son goes to live with his BF? I understand I won't get my usual CS but I also don't work and haven't over a year and a half. Does anyone know what will happen?

Grace_Adler

Well he still owes you the arrears. He can't get out of that one. However if the child is living with him I believe he can ask the courts to suspend CS during that time.

E

ellaine

I understand that they will stop taking the current child support but he still has to pay the back CS right? My ex thinks that my current husband will have to pay him CS, is that true?

N

njmom

suggestion

My ex and I went through this several years ago and he owed me several thousand in arrears as well. We came to an agreement with a mediator, and the agreement was that the child support obviously was stopped but the arrears still were standing, so the whole time he had my daughters, he was paying me like 70 dollars a week and it was being deducted from his arrears. If you are going to let him have you're son for the year, go to a mediator and have them draw up a plan, as far as visitaion, who is claiming the child, support agreements and things of that nature.....don't get caught with your pants down, so to speak!!.....You obviously had him for the better part of the year, so you would be entitled to claim the child, have everything you can think of documented......Also state in the agreement, this is TEMPORARY.......even though the mediator here says that everything is temporary in the state of NJ, I still had it in plain english that it was TEMPORARY!!.....Good Luck!!

CMSC

hmmm...just curious? ellaine is this the same ex that you wanted the courts to be aware of his molestation background? If so why in the world would you agree to your son living there? Don't let him intimidate you into this.

Grace_Adler

I agree with ryry's mom and njmom. IMO you should take their advice and yes he does owe you that money from previously.

E

ellaine

yes this is the same man that was taken away when he was 13 for molesting his step sister. I just lost my attorney last week and the judge does not like me, I know I sound perinoid but she doesn't, she has made every judgement so far against me. I have come to not trust the judicial system with all of this. I figured if I agreed to this then it was just temporary and I know my son he is going to want to come home. I have tried to reason this the BF but his is such a jerk and won't listen to reason just his crooked attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">