• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Randy J.

What is the name of your state? Indiana
Thank you, for your speedy response! My son has been attending classes for his GED but has never taken the test. I've tried speaking with the instructor but she is reluctant to give me any info as she stated my son is an adult so she couldn't disclose info. When I asked my son how he was doing with the GED classes, he stated "not very well!" He's been going to these classes for 1 1/2 yrs. When does it end? I know his Mom thinks that just because he's going to GED classes (off & on) that the support is justified. You mean I have to pay support till this kid is 21 and even then, not have his GED? I will go to the website that MissouriGal advised......we'll see where that goes.

kat1963

Randy, just go ahead and file for termination of child support. Most (not all) judges realize what is happening. A year and a half, give me a break. Two of my now 18 year old son’s friends took GED classes, they (study) lasted 4 months, for about 2 hours a night 2-3 nights per week. And anyway, what in the heck is it teaching your son? How to live off the backs of others and how to lie by omission. When you file, you can probably ask the court for immediate termination, then state that if not, you wish the court to terminate in 6 months (LIST DATES!).
Just file, you aren't going to be any worse off then you are right now.
KAT

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Also, make sure you issue a Subpoena to the school to have his records, both academic and attendance, delivered to the court on the day of your hearing. That way, the judge can see for him/her self what the hell is going on.

IAAL

kat1963

Most definitely go by what IAAL says. When you go to the court house, or even on line there should be paper work for you to subpoena the records. If not, ask the court clerk (dress nice & smile a lot!!) or go the law library. To make you laugh, yesterday my husband got a response to his request of records for his 15 year old son (his almost 17 year old daughter didn’t bother to go back this year). In his certified letter, he quoted FEDERAL law as his entitlement to the records & said he would be glad to pay the costs involved. The response was *verbatim* “Dear Sir, We have received your request for *** *** school records. You will note that we are North Carolina School district and are no obligation to send you his records to Virginia.” I got a nose full of coffee after reading that one. Actually been giggling all weekend. This is going to be fun.
So now go file for modification. I think that once you have the records your need, the judge will see what is going on. It's not all that horribly hard to do it yourself! Really!
Good Luck!
KAT

R

Randy J.

Making the "Support" go away!!

Thanks, for all your input!! I feel bad for my boy because he isn't working and having a hard time obtaining his GED. He has no drive....no ambition to do anything. If I knew in my heart that he had a sincere interest in getting somewhere in this world, I'd pay support till he was 21....but, I know different.

kat1963

Randy, he’ll probably be on your doorstep within 4 month of the termination of support. Prepare yourself. You are a good Dad. It couldn’t have gone on this way, trust me. I have 2 BMW’s next door (broke men walking). Their Dad won an asbestoses lawsuit and proceeded to set them up with trust money until they were 30. They are in their 40’s now, live with Mom, no cars, they have NOTHING.Sometimes, the school of hard knocks, is really the best way, albeit, the hard way.
KAT

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">