• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



i'm in pennsylvania, my daughter is 16 years old and is having a baby. does she have to put the father on the birth certificate in order to get child support?



That's a start. Then comes a paternity test.

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.


you said this is a start but is it a must. alsoi have heard that he does not have to appear on it.he is 19 and this is his second baby they will be 7 months apart.Does she have to go for legal custody or does the mother automatically have that? Thanks Jackie22


Senior Member
she can list the father as unknown.

now to receive child support, she has to establish paternity. dna testing, or the father would have to admit to paternity and sign the birth certificate.

when paternity is established a support order can be established.

when paternity is established the father can also petition to have his name added to the birth certificate - if the state handles these things they will petition to have it placed on the certificate. he can also petition for a name change in the child - if he wants. he can also petition for a form of custody and visitation.

when paternity is established - both parents have equal rights to the child. she would need to petition for custody to be established.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential