• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



iam 17 from michigan. when i was 14 i slept with an 18 year old woman that was visiting from california, well she got pregnant and said that i was the father.she went back to california and had the baby. i have only seen my so called daughter twice. now the mother wants child support, she also wants back child support for the two years that i havent paied. i want to know if there is any way i can fight the child support order. or if i have to pay is there any way i can get help. should i file charges against her.
i can barely take care of my needs let alone a two year old daughters. please help me.

[Edited by freak_420_3 on 05-16-2001 at 04:11 PM]


Senior Member
has pateinty been established?
did you sign the birth certificate?
have you petition to establish paterinty?
have you had a DNA test?

once paternity is established, it is possible for her to get support from the time that you were aware of the child, which you admit that you knew she was pregnant and had the child. so basically in your case, birth.

when the order is established, you will be responsible for paying the amount, plus the backpay (arrears). it is also possible that the court will make you carry medical coverage on the child and make you responsible for 1/2 of medical expenses not covered by insurance.

of course, you area also entitled to a relationship with your daughter and you will be able to establish a form of custody / visitation at the time that paternity is established.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential