• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.




i'm a 18 yr old who is about to go to college my father is attempting to discontinue paying child support. by TN law is he required to help my mother financially for me to go to college.



This is for your parents to work out. You shouldn't be involved in it. If the law says your father has to pay support for you through your secondary education, when he attempts to terminate support, your mother can show that you are continuing with his education and he will be ordered to continue support payments.

Good Luck!


I agree with the other response that your parents should be working this out, and the burden of this shouldn't be on you. However, we have recently checked on some questions we had about child support and college expenses and we're in Tennessee. First, once you've graduated, the laws in Tennessee allow for the child support to end, however, in most cases, the court must be petitioned by the Obligor (parent paying the support) to end the support. Second, regarding college--We were told that unless the original decree specifically stated that the non-custodial parent had to pay for college that the court couldn't require it later on. So, if there's a clause that states he's responsible for college expense, he has to pay whatever was stated. If no language was included, it will be between the parties to agree to how college expenses will be paid. Apparently very few agreements include a requirement to pay for college. Hope it gets worked out. NOTE I am not an attorney, this is just what we've been told. Your mom should check with one if she's not sure.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential