• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child tax question?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? IL.

My ex spouse and I have 2 daughters, 1 is 18 and 1/2 years and the other is almost 16. We went to court 3 years over child support issues and for which one each of us could claim on income taxes. Agreement was made in court that he could claim the oldest daughter and I could claim the youngest. About a year and a half ago my oldest daughter moved out of her dads house, due to she was engaged to be married her 18th birthday, but things fell through and didn't happen. So she has been living with me for over a year, and I have provided everything for her with no help from her dad. And besides he moved to Wisconsin last July of 04, with no forwarding address or no way to contact him.

My question is since she has not been residing with him for over a year and has been with me and I have been providing for her, can I claim her on my income taxes? He has also not paid any child support for the youngest daughter since he has moved to Wisconsin.


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential